Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Should I or not?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Ok, I wasn't sure whether to post this in here, or in travel..but decided to post it here all the same.

Anyway, I am currently in year 12 and we are being encouraged to visit uni's, choose our course etc. and I am looking forward to going to uni and everything.

It's just I have starting considering taking a gap year. It would be good as I could gain work experience, save up some money and hopefully do some travelling also. Its just that I don't want people to think I'm a lazy teenager or anything, because I'm not. I just don't want to get to uni and think, "I really wish I'd had a gap year."

I just wanted your views really, do you think I should go to uni straight after leaving school, or should I take a gap year? anyone taken a gap year and regreted it? been happy with their decision?

thanks xx
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ok, I wasn't sure whether to post this in here, or in travel..but decided to post it here all the same.

Anyway, I am currently in year 12 and we are being encouraged to visit uni's, choose our course etc. and I am looking forward to going to uni and everything.

It's just I have starting considering taking a gap year. It would be good as I could gain work experience, save up some money and hopefully do some travelling also. Its just that I don't want people to think I'm a lazy teenager or anything, because I'm not. I just don't want to get to uni and think, "I really wish I'd had a gap year."

I just wanted your views really, do you think I should go to uni straight after leaving school, or should I take a gap year? anyone taken a gap year and regreted it? been happy with their decision?

thanks xx

I had one and to be honest it was a waste of time. I think they can be good if you a) plan it well, and/or b) are loaded.

You can always have one after uni.
    there are 2 things to consider really.

If you take a gap year you may enjoy earning and the real world too much and go off the idea of uni.

Or you could always go to uni and take a year out. This way hopefully already being part way through uni it will encourage you to return and finish?

Then again, you may end up not going back.
    The problem with taking a gap year is that once you've finished it their is a good chance you wont want to go to uni. That i why i decided against having a gap year and going straight into uni.
    as was said before unless u plan your travels well it will probably be a waste of time. i went to uni straight from school and i wish i didnt.i think its good if you take a year out and work, get an idea of the 'real world' as it can make u realise how hard it can be. you can always go travelling when your older maybe after uni.
    if you take a gap year then i doubt very much that you'll save much money. you might have good intentions, and sorry to be cynical but you'll probably enjoy spending too much!

at the end of the day, only you can make the decision. i did 3 years at college and then went to uni and don't regret it (well, wouldn't have been able to go if i didn't do the 3rd year!).

if you do take the year out, i'd suggest you enjoy it and maybe get some valuable work experience in to make you look good.
    film_buff wrote:
    The problem with taking a gap year is that once you've finished it their is a good chance you wont want to go to uni. That i why i decided against having a gap year and going straight into uni.
    I disagree...

Mystify, take a gap year, go and do something you've always wanted to do, go work abroad, or work hard for six months and travel. DO SOMETHING, don't just go straight to uni, the experience and maturity you'll get is unparalleled.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    film_buff wrote:

I think this is only accurate for *some* people.

Some people can take a gap year and go to uni and do just as well, with the experiences behind them. However, I know I would not be disciplined enough to go back to uni after a gap year. Suppose it depends on yourself.
    My gap year, or more accurately, the 4 months I spend abroad (1 in Rome and the other 3 drinking my way round western and central Europe) was the most incredible, life-affirming experience. Without wanting to sound cheesy, I honestly discovered myself and found out who I really was at the end of it. If I had another £3,500, I'd do it again but then again, I wouldn't want to work at Tesco for the amount of time it took me to earn that!

So my advice would be to go. If you go travelling and really fling yourself towards it rather than head for the nearest English pub, you will have a blast. Thing about uni afterwards is it really depends what you're studying. I was a year young all the way through school as I left junior school a year early and so I would have only been 18 if I had gone to uni as soon as I left school. Also as I'm studying languages, it was a positive boon that I went as it not only matured me socially but intellectually as well.

Just pick it, pack it and go!
    im starting uni in september, and ive decided to go on a gap year after the course is over.. i think that going after uni is better because you'll have more self confidence and basically know what you are doing more!
    if i was to go on a gap year now i can tell you right now that i wouldnt get very far! id be way too nervous about what to do etc

when i DO go however i hope to go to india :) saving up already in fact!
    i took a gap year before coming to uni. basically, i'd say the same really as has been said already... make sure if you are going to do a gap year, that you have planned it well beforehand. if you've done that then the
    experience and maturity you'll get is unparalleled.
    & :yes: got to agree with that :thumb: