Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

NHS Losing Staff

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Talk about the rich living off the poor.

What a morally repugnant policy it is.
    You are definitely confused Blagger or are you trying to be funny/clever, no it couldn't be the latter.
    How am I confused exactly?
    Rich Kid wrote:
    If you're a civil servant MOK you need monitoring, we don't pay you to sit around all day on this forum. Its true what they say, civil servants haven't got enough work to do, they're overpaid and underworked - time they got a real job in the private sector.

How insulting. What exactly do you do for a living?
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Its true what they say, civil servants haven't got enough work to do, they're overpaid and underworked - time they got a real job in the private sector.

I used to be a Private Secretary to a Minister. During that time I would come in at nine in the morning and work solidly to lunchtime. For lunch I'd have time to go down to the canteen and get a sandwich before returning to my desk. If it was quiet and we had no 'flaps' on I might get away by seven.

If however there was a flap on or we we were putting a bill through Parliament I might have to stay to nine or ten o'clock (and it wasn't unknown for me to finish the working day at twelve).

And that's if we were in the office. If we were visiting places I might be meeting my Minister at eight in the morning, doing a full day of travelling and then getting back about eight or nine at night.

And don't get me on about the hours I sometimes did when I was in the Army...

Its a myth that its only the private sector who works hard.
    Rich Kid wrote:
    we don't pay you to sit around all day on this forum.

If you'd actually bothered to read the previous couple of messages, you'd have seen that I'm on leave. Moron.

You are just making yourself look stupid again.
    Its true what they say, civil servants haven't got enough work to do, they're overpaid and underworked - time they got a real job in the private sector.

Are you trying to get a rise out of me? If so, try harder, that comment isn't even worth laughing at.
    That is what I would like to do. Join the TA, but only after a few years at nursing - to get experience.
    Panthro wrote:
    That is what I would like to do. Join the TA, but only after a few years at nursing - to get experience.

Good for you. :thumb: As an ex-infantry officer I always admired the medics and knew we could rely on them (whilst hoping we wouldn't have to)
    But how much truth was in that story?

That I don't know but I think the programmes on tonight. What I do know is how much it fits into the pattern of anecdotal evidence from teachers I have spoken to.
    BlackArab wrote:
    (or even the Kentish view ;) )
    ;)

Nursing as a profession attracts a broad range of people with different skills and abilities. The professionalisation of nursing through the introduction of bachelor degrees may have created a generation of qualified nurses who are "too posh to wash", or it may simply have created a highly educated group of individuals who will then go on and use their training and skills in other areas, e.g. the private sector (working as drug company reps), as nursing managers or as community or office based nurses (NHS Direct).

We have also expanded the role of nurses so they are more responsible and given more time consuming jobs than scrubbing floors and changing bedsheets.

So, yes, a lot of nurses will leave the profession each year. But that doesn't mean nursing is too stressful or that the shifts are too inflexible or that the profession is underpaid. They have more choices today than ever before.