Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Night Terrors / Panic Attacks.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone suffer / have suffered from either? I used to have night terrors a lot a few years ago, where I would wake up in the night kinda hot and hallucinate a lot. Its a bit like a nightmare, but in your surroundings, and you get funny feelings in your hands and head. Like, you skin feels really loose and thin, and your bones feel really hard and sharp through it. The hallucinations vary, from seeing the staircase and windows being bricked up 'by the army' to one I get constantly where everything I do seems amplified and exaggerated, and I get scared to move incase I use up all my space or whatever. I sometimes think I'm reaaally big in that one too. Oh, and there was something about a musical last time.
They usually go away if I go and talk to someone about it.

Now, I don't know if this is connected, but recently I've been getting random panic attacks, where everything feels really fast and rushed, its hard to breathe normally and I shake. I'm never really worried about anything, its just an unpleasant feeling.

So... anyone have any experiences like mine? And is what I described above a panic attack? Has anyone ever heard of night-terrors before? I only call them that because one time I was screaming that the tv was going to get me and pulled down the curtain rail, so my mum phoned nhs direct and the woman said it was a 'night-terror'.
Cheers anyway x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i'm suffering from panic attacks

my breathing gets really quick and sharp and i shake, i also feel faint aswell and feel really really sick and my stomache aches

its a really really horrible feeling so i know what its like!
    does anything inparticular bring them on? i get them a lot in the mornings, or at school, which isn't the best time to be having one!
    i get them in the morning before school....then usually during the first 2 lessons aswell :yuck:
    i used to get panic attacks quite badly, but I was very anxious. I went docs, who put me on anti-depressents (not just for the panic attacks) and I also started seeing a counsellor. With help from both, ive kinda got over what was making me anxious, well ive learnt how to deal with it, and so no longer do i get panic attacks.

My counsellor told me, when i get a panic attack, breath in through your nose, and out slowly through your mouth. it might seem really simple, but aparently it reverses the effects of the attack. It worked for me anyway.

I'll have a look on Depression Action, a depression forum linked in my sig, as theyve got tips on what to do i think.

Oh and if its really effecting you, which it sounds like it is, go and see your gp.
    thanks RepeatToFade.. that websites really useful. I think the cause of mine may be stress.. I'm having a lot of trouble with my GCSEs and I'm also getting a lot of shit from a lot of people at school. Even walking past these people gives me the heeby-jeebies, so I go cool off in the toilets :(.
    I've also been feeling quite down this week. Not pre-menstrual.. just stress, I think.
    Yes stress is one of the main causes of panic attacks, but if they dont get better after your gcse's then go to your gp. :)
    yeah, ive also been told to breathe in through my nose, hold then out slowly through my mouth (this helps with nausea aswell)
    or breathe into your hands or a paper bag
    i suffer from anxiety attacks, and usualy freak out everyone around me in the process, it's quite scary and i can't really do much about them because that would involve going to see a shrink and right now thats not a good idea. i usualy have to just ride it out just breathe through it. having a little bottle of lavender around helps the smell carms me down...but it's scary...tbh i think my boyfriend gets more worried than i do about it.