Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Jewellery Repairs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
*Humpth* :(

I have a gorgeous necklace. The chain is the tiniest thing in the history, incredibly delicate, basically you couldn't get a pin through the links. I know it is expensive, from a prestigious jewellers, boyfriend did not get insurance when he bought it for me and I feel well guilty and it was inevitable that it would break at some point cause I wear it soo often, spose with something so delicate should be special occassions only...but still...I'm looking for it to be repaired, have to wait for my next paypacket, god knows how much it's gonna cost. Wandered if anyone had had delicate jewellery pieces repaired before and how much they've coughed up before now? And with places such as H Samuels and other highstreet jewellers, do they only do repair services for their own?

Thank you muchly for any responses!

Malt xxx :(

Comments

• Options
    H Samuels do repair other stuff than their own, I seriously squashed my engagement ring in a door a while ago and they made it as good as new again, and it wasnt that expensive either.
  • Options
    Good greif do not go to H samuals unless you want to get ripped off! They charge £10 for a watch battery when it only costs them a pound for a box of 10!

Go to a family jewellers, they tend to be better value for money and they actually know about jewellery. The people in H samuals are just there to sell stuff, they dont know about it at all.

What type of metal is it? Yellow/white gold or silver. What is it thats broken? The chain or the clasp? If its the clasp it shouldnt cost to much no more than a fiver if its silver. If its the chain (again asuming that its silver) then things get prices depending on the weight and as its a very thin chair it shouldnt cost too much to replace.

If you could post a pic of whats wrong with it I could tel you how much you should expect to pay for repair.
  • Options
    Zella wrote:

Go to a family jewellers, they tend to be better value for money and they actually know about jewellery. The people in H samuals are just there to sell stuff, they dont know about it at all.

quite right too, smaller jewellers are much better really know there stuff :yes:
  • Options
    Thank you for your replies, in response:

Scanners not set up at the mo, as far as I know, it's white gold, I could be wrong but believe the bloke said it was a while back. I put the chain links against a ruler, looking at them being 1mm in size.

This isn't my necklace, but like, the chain looks exactly the same...bar this one being gold (nicked these from an ebay seller selling Ernest Jones stuff...) I figured with such a tiny chain, it'd cost more?

Malt xx :)
  • Options
    might be cheaper to just buy a new chain. 9ct white gold chain is pretty cheap. almost definitely cheaper than a couple of hours of a jeweller's time. although jewellery shops do bump up the price hugely.

not sure about 18ct though...
  • Options
    Considering its such a tiny chain it will cost you less. Prices are set by weight ya see. Seeing as its white gold it should cost aout £10/15 to repair. But then again it could be even cheaper than that seeing as they should just be soldering the snapped bit. Ah I remember why its that much! They will have to polish it after its fixed cos the soldering will turn parts of it black. So they have to polish it to get it white again.