Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

bikini wax...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
was just wondering what the best binkini wax / hair removal kits are for home use. going on holiday in a month. i need one that is for sensitive skin and preferably hypoallergenic!! any ideas?? cheers!!

Comments

• Options
    I'd say that's worth getting done by a professional if it's a holiday treat yourself, use a reputed place, go there a few days before, explain and ask to put some on your skin, leave on for the alloted time and return the next day

disclaimer: I'm a bloke
  • Options
    jago25_98 wrote:
    go there a few days before, explain and ask to put some on your skin, leave on for the alloted time and return the next day

what are you talking about?
  • Options
    Lol I was thinking the exact same thing...leave wax on for a day?!! Bless you Jago! :p

I agree with the professional idea, that way you don't go through any bloopers that'll leave you skin extra tender, sore or bruised and they'll know what's best :)

malt xx :)
  • Options
    leave on for the alloted time
  • Options
    jago25_98 wrote:

Ahh I'm with the jiggy - sorry ol' chap! Don't know if they're inclined to run a trial tbh, I mean they apply it for literally seconds, yank it off...not sure, always worth asking I spose!

Malt xx :)
  • Options
    it all made sense when he said he was a bloke.

definately go to a professional...have you ever done it at home? owwwwwww. :no:
  • Options
    If you are going to do it at home, use the wax that you heat up in the microwave as opposed to the cold strips because they are rubbish, hurt more and just leave behind a gunky residue.
  • Options
    i find bikini lines at home very difficult to do. most places will do a bikini and full leg for around £8, and the results tend to last longer than anything you can do yourself.
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    what are you talking about?

He probably meant to try a test patch in advance first to check that you aren't allergic/won't have any adverse reactions. It's not a bad idea if you are prone to skin sensitivity. There are quite a few beaty places around now that only use organic, hypo-allergenic products, though - may be more expensive but probably worth it.
  • Options
    if you get it done professionally, is it less likely to cause irritation and ingrowing hairs, or if youre prone to them are you likely to get them anyway?
    Its just I seem to be prone to them. I used an epilator for a while, and it made my legs very bumpy and when i tried it on my underarms, it made it come out in spots, which was NOT the idea. I like the idea of waxing, but am afraid of the same reaction.
    Anyone else get this?
  • Options
    if you get it done professionally, is it less likely to cause irritation and ingrowing hairs, or if youre prone to them are you likely to get them anyway?
    Its just I seem to be prone to them. I used an epilator for a while, and it made my legs very bumpy and when i tried it on my underarms, it made it come out in spots, which was NOT the idea. I like the idea of waxing, but am afraid of the same reaction.
    Anyone else get this?

:yes: its like my whole entire leg is a mass of tiny ingrowing hairs. looks like i have constant goosebumps! so ive stopped.
  • Options
    Blah_x2 wrote:
    :yes: its like my whole entire leg is a mass of tiny ingrowing hairs. looks like i have constant goosebumps! so ive stopped.
    is that from professional waxing?
  • Options
    mehhh. i use veet, though that tends to leave stubble. haven't waxed before. scared to do it myself, plus i'm scared of strange people touching my nether regions. and they might bring up the subject of my age. however my mate got hers done before she went on holiday so :shrug:
  • Options
    is that from professional waxing?

nope from epilating
  • Options
    Do you exfoliate before epilating? It can help prevent dead skin getting into open pores (ie, ones that have just had the root of a hair pulled out of) and help stop the bumps. Also, using unscented non-greasy moisturiser can help.

I would say go to get a bikini wax done professionally, they're a pain to do yourself, you have to contort yourself a bit and it bloody hurts if you do it. Make sure you get it done about a week before you go away, it won't grow back in that time, but it'll give any redness/soreness some time to go down :) And trim the hairs you want removed short before you go - the wax gets a better grip.

(In case you hadn't guessed, i play hair removal a lot - i'm not a beautician, i've just got very dark hair!)