Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Age and depression

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

Well i'll make it simple.....i'm 15 and recently been really ill because of stress from school, i now have panic attacks before and during school and as a result im becoming depressed.
Today i was in the nurses office because i had an attack and she said i can't be depressed at my age. She said i've got nothing to be depressed about.....and this guy in my year came in the office, he'd walked out of school because his grandad had died and she basically said that i've got no right to be depressed because i havent had some tragedy in my life recently.
Does this sound right to anyone??

(p.s all my teachers are aware of my problem)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    no shes talking shit. You can be depressed, and sound like you are depressed. Go to your gp and talk to them.

If you want more support advice visit the links in my sig. :)
    Ballerina, you can't quantify life experience on the basis of age - we all go through things at different ages. I was having panic attacks from post traumatic stress disorder arising from an incident when I was 15 - if someone said to me I had nothing to be depressed about, I would have wanted to smack them one.

No one has the right to compare you with other people either.

I had depression which was a result of all the panic attacks I was having, just last year. My nervous system got so worked up when I was having an attack, it was trying to over compensate by calming things down which resulted in my depression. The good news is, I'm recovering, and so can you, you just sound like you need to get some better support on your side.

These are thesites articles on anxiety and depression

You can also find some help in your local area by tapping your post code in.
    the school nuurse is talking crap.
    bereavement isn't depression and depression isn't about being upset ...i'd report her to be honest.
    Everyone is right, she's wrong and it was very wrong of her to say it.
    thanks guys for your quick replies. i also spoke to 1 of the school councellors today and she was really sympathetic and understanding, i only get to see her once a week though. :(
    get yourself to a good doctor, and if you get diagnosed with depression report that nurse :yes:
    I would report the school nurse to whoever will listen, because it is not for her to make decisions over "desert" and about depression. In fact, teenagers are most likely to experience feelings of depression because of the hormones in their bodies playing havoc with their moods and emotions.

And beyond that, life experience doesn't equal depression, people are different and some can cope and move on and some cannot. I have never had a "hard" life, but I was very seriously mentally ill; people react differently to different stimuli.
    Kermit wrote:
    I

And beyond that, life experience doesn't equal depression, people are different and some can cope and move on and some cannot. I have never had a "hard" life, but I was very seriously mentally ill; people react differently to different stimuli.

indeed. there is still so much attitude and ignorance surrounding depression and mental illness, it really sucks.
    I'm going back to my doctor tomorrow sometime to see what they think. I think I'm depressed because i've got alot of the classic symtoms
    1) not being able to sleep properly
    2) things like getting out of bed and getting ready are a huge effort
    3) feeling tired all the time, no energy
    4) stomache pains and feeling sick
    5) sometimes not being able to eat properly

My dad however thinks i spend too much time in my room alone and is threatening to take my internet away. But the thing is, it's how i talk to all my friends because none of them live near me....and talking to them makes me feel better. And theres nothing else to do here because my brother is always out and he just winds me up anyway, my dad is either at work or on his computer and my mum is always busy.
    good luck at the docs :)
    Ballerina wrote:
    My dad however thinks i spend too much time in my room alone and is threatening to take my internet away. But the thing is, it's how i talk to all my friends because none of them live near me....and talking to them makes me feel better. And theres nothing else to do here because my brother is always out and he just winds me up anyway, my dad is either at work or on his computer and my mum is always busy.

I have this problem too.

If he's so adamant that you spend too much time in your room, then maybe sit downstairs a couple nights a week.

Also, if they say you don't talk to them you say "so when exactly am I meant to, you're always busy". Worked for me.

And yeh, your nurse is talking bollocks. I'd have slapped her.