Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

should you vote or not?

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    turlough wrote:
    so tony martin's the victim for shooting someone in the back as they ran away from his home...yes what a victim :rolleyes:

Tony Martin was a victim as far as the police's co-operation leading up to the event. He'd been plauged by burglars for years and had lost faith the in the local polices competence. I do have sympathy for him.

Shooting a guy in the back while he is fleeing was completely unecessary though.
    klintock wrote:
    Take me out of it please.

I would have said that everything Tony Martin owned wasn't worth one life. The stupid prick shot someone for nothing. Just my opinion though.

Pretty simple hierarchy -

People -
    Animals-
    Stuff.

so everything thast he worked for in his life was worth nothing to him? he should just let someone take it? he has a right to defend himself to the degree HE thinks is appropriate.

give me your address, ill be around to collect your things on the weekend, since you think there worthless, and not worth protecting
    he could have defended himself to the length the law would allow

anything he thinks is irrelevant as psychos probly think they should be allowed to use extra force

thing is you dont seem to understand, he shot and killed someone as they were running away from him, he was in no personal danger and they were "running away"
    MrG wrote:
    he could have defended himself to the length the law would allow

anything he thinks is irrelevant as psychos probly think they should be allowed to use extra force

thing is you dont seem to understand, he shot and killed someone as they were running away from him, he was in no personal danger and they were "running away"

WITH HIS STUFF!!!!
    WITH HIS STUFF!!!!

AND HE TOOK A HUMAN LIFE..........

for a vcr

:chin:
    AND HE TOOK A HUMAN LIFE..........

for a vcr

:chin:
    Equates for me.... no really.
    lets see the rest of the country wanted him acquitted, let alone charged. i would say thats pretty strong opinion from the people. they are tired of criminals rights and want victims rights!

That's why we have jurys rather than judging guilt or innocence on the basis of a straw poll conducted by the Sun. The jury would have been a cross-section of society and after hearing all the evidence (which unless you sat through the trial you don't have) and then found him guilty of murder. If anything the 'people' wanted a tougher sentence than the courts, because on appeal (without a jury) it was downgraded to manslaughter.
    I think not bothering to call an ambulance and letting the victim bleed to death was what tipped the balance. No way can you claim that letting someone die whilst you have a cup of tea is self-defence.
    NQA wrote:
    I think not bothering to call an ambulance and letting the victim bleed to death was what tipped the balance. No way can you claim that letting someone die whilst you have a cup of tea is self-defence.

to me it doesnt matter, the guy was there to rob him, he got what he deserved. if the old man had just tried to whack him with his cane the damn thief would probaby have killed him, then he would have got off on self defense.

why do people care what happens to thiefs caught in the act?
    to me it doesnt matter, the guy was there to rob him, he got what he deserved. if the old man had just tried to whack him with his cane the damn thief would probaby have killed him, then he would have got off on self defense.

why do people care what happens to thiefs caught in the act?

But for the rest of us who aren't psychotics....

And no under UK law it is unlikely that if you kill someone whilst carrying out a crime you would be able to claim self-defence. Its never worked as a defence for bank robbers who shot have a go heros.
    so everything thast he worked for in his life was worth nothing to him? he should just let someone take it? he has a right to defend himself to the degree HE thinks is appropriate.

Well it was obviously worth murdering someone for it. If you are going to go down that road, why not just kill people all the time for the things you want?

He wasn't defending himself, I would have no problem whatsoever with him killing someone else in self defense, he was protecting stuff.

His "right" to defend himself end where he harms another as far as I am concerned. What is owndership after all but a convenient fiction?
    give me your address, ill be around to collect your things on the weekend, since you think there worthless, and not worth protecting

I don't think they are worth shooting you over.
    Tony Martin is a convicted killer. He set out, with an illegally held firearm, to kill another human being.

Seriously, why is anyone defending him?
    klintock wrote:
    Well it was obviously worth murdering someone for it. If you are going to go down that road, why not just kill people all the time for the things you want?

He wasn't defending himself, I would have no problem whatsoever with him killing someone else in self defense, he was protecting stuff.

His "right" to defend himself end where he harms another as far as I am concerned. What is owndership after all but a convenient fiction?

I don't think they are worth shooting you over.

that just has to come from someone who obviously doesnt have any stuff.

i personally think everyone should be allowed to protect there belongings as they see fit, im not about to break into someones house and steal, so i have nothing to worry about, and niether would any other law abiding citizen, why protect criminals.?
    why protect criminals.?

Yes.

Why protect Tony Martin?
    that just has to come from someone who obviously doesnt have any stuff.

I own my own home outright, I have no debts, everything i have is mine and mine alone.

It's still not worth another persons life.
    i personally think everyone should be allowed to protect there belongings as they see fit, im not about to break into someones house and steal, so i have nothing to worry about, and niether would any other law abiding citizen, why protect criminals.?

You have no reason to steal. You also have more than you need (by a loooong way if you have 5 houses). Others aren't so lucky. People don't nick stuff for the fun of it, y'know.
    why protect criminals.?[/

Because if you can't show mercy to the guilty and the weak you will get none yourself if and when it's your turn.
    klintock wrote:
    I own my own home outright, I have no debts, everything i have is mine and mine alone.

It's still not worth another persons life.

You have no reason to steal. You also have more than you need (by a loooong way if you have 5 houses). Others aren't so lucky. People don't nick stuff for the fun of it, y'know.

Because if you can't show mercy to the guilty and the weak you will get none yourself if and when it's your turn.

i really wouldnt expect any mercy....

and how arrogant for you to be the judge of how much someone can have in there life?

if you want to retire on a pension ( that probably wont exist anyways ) thats your choice, if i want to be a little more comfortable in my retirement thats my choice
    and how arrogant for you to be the judge of how much someone can have in there life?

Compared to someone who will happily tell me that what they own is more important than another persons life?
    if you want to retire on a pension ( that probably wont exist anyways ) thats your choice, if i want to be a little more comfortable in my retirement thats my choice

I am sorry? You want to sit around in luxury while others do the work of providing your food, heat and light?

What pension are you talking about. I own my own business as well.

There is nothing wrong with being grabby but please don't dress it up as anything more than the greed that it is.
    i really wouldnt expect any mercy....

Good, cos even I don't think you really deserve any.
    MrG wrote:

Should this "legality"/morality that has been applied to the "Tony Martin case",also apply to "countries" ? e.g. september 1939: the "U.K.",feeling threatened(?),then shoots(declares war) at "Germany" who was running away (invading "Poland") ?
    To get back to the thread`s initial question......

klintock wrote:
    If you voted and the government does something you don't like, you have no reason to complain because you gave them your consent to run your life by voting at all. Only people who don't vote can complain.
    seeker wrote:
    Should this "legality"/morality that has been applied to the "Tony Martin case",also apply to "countries" ? e.g. september 1939: the "U.K.",feeling threatened(?),then shoots(declares war) at "Germany" who was running away (invading "Poland") ?

Wow those mind altering substances you are on seem to be really powerful...
    NQA wrote:
    Wow those mind altering substances you are on seem to be really powerful...

WHICH ones ? There are many powerful mind altering "substances"

e.g some think it is wrong that an individual carries an AK47,but give him a nice "uniform" and a label,say "the military" and then,mind altered, it`s OK (know wot I mean,`arry ?I suspect you do) ;) .

or,

maybe a person who wouldn`t think of initiating violence against others as an individual suddenly has their mind altered because their "employer" is doing business as "H.M.Government" and for some reason they think that in their professional capacity they have a duty to be impartial and to support the current Administration's policies - whether or not they personally agree with them. ;)

seeker
    lets see the rest of the country wanted him acquitted, let alone charged. i would say thats pretty strong opinion from the people. they are tired of criminals rights and want victims rights!

"the rest of the country"? Really? Or are you just making stuff up again?

So you think that property is more valuable than a human life? What a nice picture you're painting of yourself.
    Blagsta wrote:
    So you think that property is more valuable than a human life? What a nice picture you're painting of yourself.

doesn't really surprise

materials=aesthetically pleasing

human life=challenge and conflict

what the fuck went wrong with humanity...please tell me...