Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

uni tuition fees

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    MrG wrote:
    in the UK we sort of have to pay tuition fees up front, and only get limited support with them

so you need the money before you go there, when we say saddled in debt, they actually become poorer, rather than havong borrowed money dissappear

i never knew that, that IS wrong... but a scheme whereby the student gets the loan prior to commencing uni ( so never has to pay a cent till they are employed ) is the way to go.
    and the US and canada dont have these bright minds huh? in both countries students pay for there education ( although i am NOT commending the american system ). just because you offer free education doesnt mean you will get the brightest minds.. quite the opposite i believe. the institutions themselves would be better in a student sponsored scheme

i never said any of those things, so what if we offer free education? still will entrance exams it filters out the silly ones

plus may i remind you that this is a UK based charity message board, not a canadian or american one

you seem to be preaching an elitist view here, and im not liking it
    i never knew that, that IS wrong... but a scheme whereby the student gets the loan prior to commencing uni ( so never has to pay a cent till they are employed ) is the way to go.

we do get student loans etc, but thats only for living costs and food etc, and books

nothing to do with the fees for actually attending university
    i do belive after i have read yoru last post that half the problem in this argument is due to wires been crossed, partially because we dont understand each others education system
    MrG wrote:
    i do belive after i have read yoru last post that half the problem in this argument is due to wires been crossed, partially because we dont understand each others education system

all this time i have never been condoning restricting access to education, just that people should be responsible for paying for it themselves. if in order to make it non restrictive you have to offer " full paid " student loans then thats the way it should be
    all my side of the argument has been, is based on the premise that while it might be similar things we both want, i see that what we want is currently not the case
    Don't you think it's a lack of education that may well have contributed to the state of Mozambique?

Just because education is a privilege in some countries doesn't mean shit.

No of course poor countires aren't breaking "Human Rights" laws by NOT HAVING THE FACILITIES to educate people. That doesn't detract from every persons right in that country to an education.

I believe that everyone has a right to an education. Yes. It's very different to "anyone should be allowed into any level of education at any time", as well i suspect you know.

So before you don't think about what your posting, next time, please do.

So quick to resort to hostilites, why, may I ask?

You cannot escape the fact that the rpovision of education is dependent on the resources available.

I cannot see how something can be classified as a 'right' when it cannot be guaranteed, surely that is the whole point of a right, that it is universal?

Of course I beleive that in this country everyone should be educated to a certain standard i.e. given the resources everyone in this wealthy country should have the "right" to education.

This however is irrelevant to talking about higher education, as you admit yourself......
    Blagsta wrote:
    No, its about access not ability.

And why under the new scheme where the entire cost of education can be borrowed, is access restricted.

As the decision is made on the ability to earn in the future why should someone being from 'a poor background' feel put off?
    Blagsta wrote:

Because it benefits society as a whole.

I agree, but surely you admit that much of the benefit goes to the individual also and thus that it would be fair for them to directly fund some of the cost?
    actually I STARTED the thread, so i think i know what its about lol.

:lol:
    Toadborg wrote:
    :lol:

i only put that as i was being accused of not following the thread
    Toadborg wrote:
    And why under the new scheme where the entire cost of education can be borrowed, is access restricted.

As the decision is made on the ability to earn in the future why should someone being from 'a poor background' feel put off?

Exactly
    no from canada, we pay for our university education, and everyone has one. ( actually it has got so bad that alot of people that just take there bachelor of art degree end up pumping gas at the petrol station, because so many people have degrees now that it just doesnt mean what it used to )

Everyone in Canada has a degree? Really?
    not if it doesnt matter what there financial position is when they take the debt, only what it will be after the education. any university graduate is going to be able to afford to repay student loans.

Try reading the thread and you'll see that this isn't the case.
    it might not be easy, but it can be done, but if they want a first class education then that is a price they have to pay

Why should people have to put up with the risk? Most mature students and working class students are put off by the debt.
    and like i said, someone with a university degree and a job isnt going to be making 20 pounds/day. get over it

So everyone who gets a degree ends up earning shit loads? Really?
    and the US and canada dont have these bright minds huh? in both countries students pay for there education ( although i am NOT commending the american system ). just because you offer free education doesnt mean you will get the brightest minds.. quite the opposite i believe. the institutions themselves would be better in a student sponsored scheme

For the umpteenth time, this is the UK.
    all this time i have never been condoning restricting access to education,

Yes you have.
    Toadborg wrote:

It does, believe me. I work as an education advisor and believe me, it does.
    i only put that as i was being accused of not following the thread

But you haven't been following the thread.
    Exactly

READ THE FUCKING THREAD :rolleyes:
    Blagsta wrote:
    Everyone in Canada has a degree? Really?

ok that was a figure of speach, but i would generally say probably about 80%. you cant even get into the construction trade in canada anymore without a degree
    Blagsta wrote:
    Why should people have to put up with the risk?.

why should they get it for free?
    All Canadian brickies have a degree? Really?
    Blagsta wrote:
    So everyone who gets a degree ends up earning shit loads? Really?

i never said that, and you know it, what i did say is that graduates with a degree earn more than 4800/year, which is what YOU said ( 20 pounds is a days work. )
    Blagsta wrote:
    It does, believe me. I work as an education advisor and believe me, it does.

so we are supposed to pay for there education just because they THINK its a barrier to an education, give it a break
    Blagsta wrote:
    All Canadian brickies have a degree? Really?

anyone that entered the construction industry from 2001 HAD to have a degree, yes

that brickies, roofers, even just labourers
    but this is the UK
    MrG wrote:
    but this is the UK

i was just answering someone elses question
    anyone that entered the construction industry from 2001 HAD to have a degree, yes

that brickies, roofers, even just labourers

what type of fucked up country is that...how the hell would you need a degree to be a labourer...not exactly rocket science...
    turlough wrote:
    what type of fucked up country is that...how the hell would you need a degree to be a labourer...not exactly rocket science...

its because too many people have them, they dont mean crap anymore