Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

should you vote or not?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    MrG wrote:
    then you would never have anyone experienced as an MP, as many hold local council seats for a few years etc, basically you would be putting complete amateurs in place

plus what about the people who stay in public office for like 10 years or so in a council seat and do it for the good of thew community, you would be trashing the people then

there are very few career politicians who do any good

and the whole point is to get rid of MP's who have " political expierence ", that expierence just evolves into a need for power
    nope,because it is all party politics anyways. you would still be able to vote for your party

Not true - in local elections I have voted for an individual who's done a good job and was very helpful with a problem we were having. He was an independent and had no party to back him up.

And you'll find good MPs often get support because of who they are and get a personal vote, which doesn't transfer to there successor when they retire. I
    film_buff wrote:
    The first people to complain about a goverment are the people that didnt vote. Either they vote or they shut up.

maybe its abit extreme to take away their vote but i would do something which would encourage them to vote. I remember reading an article a while back about a country where when their is an election they charge the voter extra tax which then pays for thier voting slip. This way people feel that they might aswell use their vote because they have paid for it, it could of ben australia but i cant really remeber which country it was.

in australia its illegal not to vote, you get heavy fines and if it becomes a pattern you can get a jail sentance
    NQA wrote:
    Not true - in local elections I have voted for an individual who's done a good job and was very helpful with a problem we were having. He was an independent and had no party to back him up.

And you'll find good MPs often get support because of who they are and get a personal vote, which doesn't transfer to there successor when they retire. I

sorry but i just dont consider local elections relevant, its the general election im talking about, if you dont like your local government you can move to a different county/region. if you dont like your federal government your just screwed
    in australia its illegal not to vote, you get heavy fines and if it becomes a pattern you can get a jail sentance

Thats what we should do here then
    film_buff wrote:
    Thats what we should do here then

LOL

once they start telling you that you have to vote, its not a far step to saying WHO can vote, so be ready for that
    wtf? We're already told who can vote. Universal from 18, unless you're insane or a criminal.
    I don't see how voting for a party you disagree with the least is a choice at all.
    I don't see how voting for a party you disagree with the least is a choice at all.

EXACTLY!!
    sorry but i just dont consider local elections relevant, its the general election im talking about, if you dont like your local government you can move to a different county/region. if you dont like your federal government your just screwed

you really are stupid aint you

its very hard to keep on moving around and around, if everyone did that the country would be royally screwed

i consider local elections relevant, they approve all the local planning and by laws, they are the ones that are accountable for the area i live in
    MrG wrote:
    i consider local elections relevant, they approve all the local planning and by laws, they are the ones that are accountable for the area i live in

and thats the problem, there are WAY to many by-laws and planning commisions and building inspectors

Not entirely true. If you're registered to vote, its illegal not to. There is no compulsion to register however (as I understand it anyhow).
    Anyway, surely the right to vote also includes the right not to vote?
    and thats the problem, there are WAY to many by-laws and planning commisions and building inspectors

we are not in canada, this is a UK based message boards rememebr

and those people you mentioned above stop people abusing landf, and buildings aand keep us safe
    MrG wrote:
    we are not in canada, this is a UK based message boards rememebr

and those people you mentioned above stop people abusing landf, and buildings aand keep us safe

ya and i live in the UK too... remember.

if you purchase land, buildings or whatever then it is YOURS, nbot part of the councils, or your neighbors or anyone else. do with it as you please
    thats why we have conflict this day and age, because people believe that everything is purely theirs, or at least should be

people dont seem to understand that you live and abide by the law of the land as well
    MrG wrote:
    thats why we have conflict this day and age, because people believe that everything is purely theirs, or at least should be

people dont seem to understand that you live and abide by the law of the land as well

yes live and abide by the law of the land when on public land, when on MY land, live and abide by MY law of the land
    so you can get away with murder if commited on your property? NO

i said law of *THE* land, not your land, not governments land, land that is part of the united kingdom
    MrG wrote:
    so you can get away with murder if commited on your property? NO

i said law of *THE* land, not your land, not governments land, land that is part of the united kingdom

if someone comes into your house announced and unwelcome, then yes you have the right to use force to remove them( or should ) and alot of people in this LAND agree with me. just look at the old guy that was arrested for killing a burgular that had entered his home, the public was outraged that he was charged
    yes because he used unreasonable force
    if someone comes into your house announced and unwelcome, then yes you have the right to use force to remove them( or should ) and alot of people in this LAND agree with me. just look at the old guy that was arrested for killing a burgular that had entered his home, the public was outraged that he was charged

Totally agree with you and this. If someone entered my house should i sit back and let him do what i want, No. I should be able to use neccesary force to remove them from my premises then so be it.

Which leads me further in my belief that you have no idea what you're talking about. So because I don't like my local council I should move to another part of the country?

if you purchase land, buildings or whatever then it is YOURS, nbot part of the councils, or your neighbors or anyone else. do with it as you please

Well as you obviously think its shit surely you should follow your own advice and move somewhere else? Or perhaps its not that simple.

Quick factoid for you.

You own fuck all. It's all granted to you by the queen. This is why the state can march into your house and drag you off on whatever spurious grounds they like.
    klintock wrote:
    Quick factoid for you.

You own fuck all. It's all granted to you by the queen. This is why the state can march into your house and drag you off on whatever spurious grounds they like.

and that makes you feel safe?

i wasnt saying how it is, rather how it should be.

you just have to look at whats going on in spain right now to see where that leads. the local spanish councils are taking peoples lands ( some of which have paid hundreds of thousands of pounds for them ) and giving them to developers to use for access roads, and then have the gall to send a bill for the roadworks to the aggrieved landowner, also sometimes in the tens of thousand of pound range, all so the developers can build multimillion pound homes and sell them on a huge profits......

thats what happens when you let the government dictate what you can and can not do with your land

You don't seem to actually live on the same planet as me, let alone the same country.

You mean Tony Martin? Who shot an unarmed boy in the back as he was running away? Yes, very brave.
    Blagsta wrote:
    You mean Tony Martin? Who shot an unarmed boy in the back as he was running away? Yes, very brave.

lets see the rest of the country wanted him acquitted, let alone charged. i would say thats pretty strong opinion from the people. they are tired of criminals rights and want victims rights!
    lets see the rest of the country wanted him acquitted, let alone charged. i would say thats pretty strong opinion from the people. they are tired of criminals rights and want victims rights!

Take me out of it please.

I would have said that everything Tony Martin owned wasn't worth one life. The stupid prick shot someone for nothing. Just my opinion though.

Pretty simple hierarchy -

People -
    Animals-
    Stuff.

yes but true fact been that if the police followed everyting the public wanted we would all be screwed, look at vigilante attacks for example

im not defending sex offenders here, but the law is there to deal with them, personal attacks are not justified, the law might not be adequate, but it does not give the public the right to go out and attack them

even when one of the tabloids spewed out a big list of pictures and stuff of sex offenders, they got couple wrong, who were totally innocent, the reason why we sho=uld not have the public running hte police or the courts as they see fit is because of to coin a phrase "mob mentality"
    want victims rights!

so tony martin's the victim for shooting someone in the back as they ran away from his home...yes what a victim :rolleyes: