Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

We're not all equal before the law

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
John Prescott's "Trespassers Charter" telling Councils and Police to lay off illegal travellers sites is only encouraging more law-breaking.

Yesterday a High Court judge gave a traveller the right to park his caravans on green belt land near Dorking in Surrey, ("an area of outstanding natural beauty"), because of his "aversion to houses" - they gave him claustrophobia! :)

So yet again its one more example of one law for travellers, one law for ordinary decent law-abiding citizens - all encouraged by a Labour minister.

Comments

• Options
    Perhaps, if more legit camps were provided then they wouldnt need to park up on someone elses land.
  • Options
    Of course, we`re not all equal before the law.Did you have a romantic notion that "we" were ?

The "law" is just someone`s opinion backed up by extreme violence.

seeker
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Perhaps, if more legit camps were provided then they wouldnt need to park up on someone elses land.

All the same, there is lots of land to park on, but where I live they have parked up next to a natural beauty spot, the main attraction to Groby (my village) from rural tourism in fact. There is plenty of grassland around that isn't really used and there are several fields that are just weeds and such that they could go on, but no, lets park on the beauty spot. Sure, it gives them a nice garden view, but it's a view that is supposed to be for everyone, and as such you can't develop homes on it. Unless you have a beautiful looking caravan, and have all your excrement in buckets which you throw over the fence or into the lake.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Surrey provides plenty of County Council sites that offer hard standing, water and electricity, but this is not the point.
    Some travellers are buying land, hoping to get planning permission not so they can settle but because they can sell it on to developers for a huge profit.
    If I tried this I'd soon be hauled to court, but if you're a traveller nobody touches you.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

why should any camps be set up??? why cant they be regulated like everyone else. buy there own house, if they dont want a house, then they can go and buy there own land, then they can do with it what they please, but they shouldnt be GIVEN anything, other than what every otrher british taxpayers is given, which is usually just a lot of red tape and runaround
  • Options
    why should any camps be set up??? why cant they be regulated like everyone else. buy there own house, if they dont want a house, then they can go and buy there own land, then they can do with it what they please,
    (my bold letters)
    That's exactly the problem!
  • Options
    ..... but they shouldnt be GIVEN anything, other than what every otrher british taxpayers is given, which is usually just a lot of red tape and runaround

Yeah, red tape and runaround. Thats the meaning of life......

:eek2:
  • Options
    but they shouldnt be GIVEN anything, other than what every otrher british taxpayers is given, which is usually just a lot of red tape and runaround

But surely giving them hard standing camps would be cheaper than giving them council housing?
  • Options
    What are you complaining for RK? There's also an entirely different law for the rich who can hire teams of lawyers to exploit every angle on just about any matter and get off with the merest of wrist slaps. Perhaps if effete elitists like yourself had to suffer an ounce of the discrimination, ostracism and even brutality that gypises have suffered for generations, you might not be spouting off in so "unChristian-like" a manner.

Perhaps Mr. Prescott is demonstrating concepts which you fail to incorporate into your all too BNP-oriented world view, namely "mercy", "compassion" and "tolerance". How telling that these concepts are so clearly absent from your legalistic rhetoric.
  • Options
    Didnt the minorities council say that travelers suffer more discrimination than any other group?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Sorted.
  • Options
    I can't see how anyone who claims to be Tory cannot support the DPM's policy

1) despite what the Daily Mail says the Gypsy policy is about equality under the law in that gypsises should not be treated differently from anyone else just becuase some gypsies are criminals

2) its also about the fact it is no business of the state how people choose to live their lives.

The trouble with the Conservative Party currently is that they have forgotten traditional Tory values and have been hijacked by a disreputable rogue.
  • Options
    And who was responsible for the current shortage of legitimate camps in the first place?

Why, Michael 'Something of a Twat' Howard.

And he has the cheek to complain... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Sorted.

and if the laws were enforced too
  • Options
    if they dont want a house, then they can go and buy there own land, then they can do with it what they please,

Unfortunately they can't. There have been several high profile cases recently of travellers buying land, being refused permission to live on it, living on it anyway and being evicted from their own land.
  • Options
    Now there's private property rights for ya. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    My favourite travellers are the ones that leave so much rubbish on my local park that kids couldn't play on it for weeks because of the glass and metal etc. I also really get on with the ones that did a number of driveways on our road which all fell to pieces after about a month. The ones that spent weeks dumping gas canisters and washing machines on the village green were also pretty spot on. Oh I forgot about the ones that kicked the shit out of my little brother on the way home from his friends house.
    I'm sure there are some lovely travellers out and about. If anyone spots them could you send them over my way please?