Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

passing laws

ok heres one.....

How about every new law or bill had to be voted on by the people. All new laws were posted on the internet, or via digital TV, or whatever form it took, and the people voted on it, if it gets a majority it passes, if not, it doesnt. People could even post thier own laws to a section of the site and if it recieved ok by ( an arbitrary number here ) say 30% of the people then it would be put up for a vote by the populance. seems to me that would let the majority have the type of system they wanted.

Craig
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    As good as it sounds, that would never happen. It would just allow stupid laws to be passed.
    As good as it sounds, that would never happen. It would just allow stupid laws to be passed.

but how can it be a stupid law that is passed if the majority have to approve it for it to pass, if the majority want it, it no longer becomes stupid
    well current politics sorta works like that...

you look at a party, choose which one suits you most, then vote in a representatvie in your area from that party so he can represent your views
    It kind of assumes perfect knowledge on the part of the people. The media isn't the best at providing balanced views though.

I like the idea in principle though.

I am much more in favour of as voluntary a system as possible. - i.e. if i don't want the police they have to stay away from my property, and I actually can do with my property what i want to.
    turlough wrote:
    well current politics sorta works like that...

you look at a party, choose which one suits you most, then vote in a representatvie in your area from that party so he can represent your views

OMG you arent serious are you?

you really think your representative represents your views?
    klintock wrote:
    It kind of assumes perfect knowledge on the part of the people. The media isn't the best at providing balanced views though.

I like the idea in principle though.

I am much more in favour of as voluntary a system as possible. - i.e. if i don't want the police they have to stay away from my property, and I actually can do with my property what i want to.

but even as it stands now, the politicians dont have the " perfect knowledge " on the subject, they just follow the party line.

But i do agree it couldnt work with all laws and bills ( the damn people would vote out taxes first thing, lol ) but it could work with many, ie. speed limits, capital punishment.

and i agree totally with your last paragraph.
    But i do agree it couldnt work with all laws and bills ( the damn people would vote out taxes first thing, lol ) but it could work with many, ie. speed limits, capital punishment.

Well, I personally think that speed limits should be guidelines, and that the punishment for breaking them would be a screwing on your insurance IF you had a crash.

Their isn't much that the government does that couldn't be considered providing a service, and I am all for them providing those services on a mutually voluntary basis.
    i have passed many laws ...or should that be by passed ...
    OMG you arent serious are you?

you really think your representative represents your views?

if he doesn't vote to get him out, and if no-one does, start your own party!

i like your idea in principle but it just ain't happening!
    turlough wrote:
    if he doesn't vote to get him out, and if no-one does, start your own party!

i like your idea in principle but it just ain't happening!

ya i know it woint happen, too bad, maybe someday......
    ya i know it woint happen, too bad, maybe someday......

it actually did happen once...ancient athens worked on that principle...of ocurse when the population was very small...thats true democracy for ya...these days it's just corrupt shite...
    A couple of years ago,I saw a guy who was putting himself up as a candidate/representative and his main policy was the abolition of around 10 (current) laws for every new law brought onto the statute books :thumb:

seeker
    ok heres one.....

How about every new law or bill had to be voted on by the people. All new laws were posted on the internet, or via digital TV, or whatever form it took, and the people voted on it, if it gets a majority it passes, if not, it doesnt. People could even post thier own laws to a section of the site and if it recieved ok by ( an arbitrary number here ) say 30% of the people then it would be put up for a vote by the populance. seems to me that would let the majority have the type of system they wanted.

Craig

so people blindly without the knowledge and know it alls can easily decide the fate of the country, what about people without internet or digital tv
    MrG wrote:
    so people blindly without the knowledge and know it alls can easily decide the fate of the country

Are you referring to the General Election ?

seeker
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    seeker wrote:
    Are you referring to the General Election ?

seeker

Now that, is different. The parties propose their policies in simplified ways for the ignorant masses, and say nice things to make people vote for them. Unlike a delicate thing such as an idividual issue.

The thing is, these things are *meant* to be debated and done by people who know what they are doing. It takes many revisions of a law before it gets passed as opposed to one nationwide vote.

Direct Democracy is a great idea. Unless your masses are poorly educated on everything ever. In this case, they are.

We know who you are, you don't need to sign out of each post, btw.

Gerbil¬
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Now that, is different. The parties propose their policies in simplified ways for the ignorant masses, and say nice things to make people vote for them. Unlike a delicate thing such as an idividual issue.

The thing is, these things are *meant* to be debated and done by people who know what they are doing. It takes many revisions of a law before it gets passed as opposed to one nationwide vote.

Direct Democracy is a great idea. Unless your masses are poorly educated on everything ever. In this case, they are.

"People" are TOO ignorant/poorly educated to make decisions for themselves,but they ARE competent enough to choose someone to make decisions for them ?

Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    We know who you are, you don't need to sign out of each post, btw.

You do ? :nervous: :nervous:

seeker
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yes, I have freinds in MI5. Your car needs a clean, btw, he's fed up of looking at that filthy thing.