Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

varicous veins hurting my friend!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey!
ok, im looking for some information of varicous veins. my mate has just been diagnosed with them (she has poor circulation due to diabetes), but its mostly in her left leg. she was told that she walked too much (she works outdoors) and this was damaging her legs, but if shes sitting in a lecture at uni her legs ache like mad after 30 minutes, and after an hour or so she cant feel her legs.
I was thinking that until she can get her GP to take her seriously (all he said was she must be doing something to damage her legs, and he cant trate them. she is trying to get a 2nd opinion of another GP, but her surgery is stupid and only lets u make appointments on the day u want one) could anybody recommend any thing which could help.
Massages? exercises? Creams?
Thanx
SBG

Comments

• Options
    Varicose veins may be helped by wearing support stockings [like the ones you use when flying] but I would recommend you talk to a doc before using these. Some thing smay help: taking regular exercise and avoid standing still for long periods, wriggling the feet and clench your calves to keep the circulation going, getting up and stretching the legs may help aswell.

Walking too much? Don't think so - when walking the skeletal muscles in the legs force the blood back towards the heart - thereby reducing the damage to the valves and the poolingof the blood that causes varicose veins.

Think she needs a new doc....!
  • Options
    i agree with u, and so does she. but the best doctor at her practice is really hard to get an appointment with. she does regular exercise, but il tell her about the feet+calve thing, thanx
    SBG
  • Options
    Get them removed....My friend had them and he had an operation to remove them or fix them..not sure which but it helped him a lot. Tell her to see her GP and they will sort out an operation date or something.