Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

temping, summer jobs...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
this summer i need to earn money so that i can fund getting myself driving.

I normally go for physical jobs like working in kennels or petting zoo's (i love working with animals) but this summer i have to take it easy as i have injured my back.

so i need something not too boring (i get bored so easily with non physical jobs) which pays at least £5 per hour.

any ideas?

would temping be a good idea? im not fully familiar with the idea of temping. would i end up having a short stay in a few jobs?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    With temping you can never be sure what length of jobs you'll get. Last summer I had 2 to cover form end of May till mid Septemeber, whereas other summers I@ve often had 10 - 15 jobs with a few days here and there.

Data entry jobs are boring but will normally pay that sort of wage or higher. Or any other office or secretarial work. But often agencies are unwilling to give you jobs like that unless you already have experience.
    i can see this may be difficult then! i dont have any experience of office jobs.

i was thinking or supermarkets but i think it may be too much for my back, stocking shelves or sitting at a till (it hurts to sit too)
    A lot of supermarkets don't pay that well though for new staff.

But sign up with a few job agencies and you put down a minimum wage so they won't offer you anything less. They offer lots of different types of job and I'm sure they'll find you something.
    I did temping last year from july to end of august as an admin assistant and I made £6 per hour which was good money.
    i applied for a job at the job centre last summer between uni.

i had 2 months there stamping milk tokens and writing giros, but it was like £800 a month, so good money for sitting stamping all day!

they often employ students over the summer for admin purposes; filing etc.
    Yeah I did alot of temping during my gap year. Most of it was office-based, one placement was 6 months, others were a few weeks, and some were the odd day here and there.
    The most I was paid was £6.75 an hour for a pension company, but usually it was about 6 or 6.50. I said my minimum was £6/hr.
    I hadn't had any office experience previously but I did well in the computer tests and had high A-level results so it wasn't really an issue. Other temping jobs were with Royal Mail, catering companies, bar work at various places, working in hospitals etc.
    How do you go about temping? Are there any websites?
    join the club

indeed i am interested in joining the temping club as having finished my degree recently (Whoohoo!) i jus wanna get money quick by doing loads of random jobs before i join the rat race of getting a "proper" job.

whats temping about? apart from the fact that you get paid better :thumb:
    nationwide temping agencies are places like Addecco, Spring, Workpoint, Ace, argh there's loads of them but names have gone from my head. DO a google search and you should find quite a few. But really youre best bet is to have a look in the yellow pages for your areea and take your cv round to them all as you tend to have to fill forms in to register and let them know what sort of work and wage you're looking for and often do some short tests. YOu'll find there'll also be lots of small agencies that are just local to your area who are often more helpful than the large nationwide firms.
    How do you go about temping? Are there any websites?

look in your yellow pages/local phone book under employment agency.
    Your local paper should have a list of all the local agencies too.

I walked into Pertemps this morning and walked out with a 6 week temp job! Can't believe I didn't have to wait for something to come up!