Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Public Interest

A wealthy young married couple with three young children have a blazing row, and somehow this is news worthy of being "the public interest". Of course it is mildly interesting to the public, but that's not really the public interest.

And all this from a newspaper editor who was furious when another publication disclosed things about her private life.

News International should be shut down.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    "blazing arow"?
  • Options
    Neither person in that relationship is exactly publicity-shy and have always been happy to stimulate public interest into their personal lives. I wouldn't endorse NI actions here but it sells papers and that is the bottom line in their eyes.
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4477983.stm

I assume its this your refering to?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    A wealthy young married couple with three young children have a blazing row, and somehow this is news worthy of being "the public interest".

Erm, this wealthy young married couple wouldn't use the "stability" of their marriage to sell themselves, would they?
  • Options
    I had a read of the story earlier. To be honest, it's nothing really new. I found the story quite dull.
  • Options
    As long as the papers have to print apologies taking up as much space as the initial story I don't see the problem.

The implications of people distracting themselves from real life by reading this kind of shite and why it's encouraged would make a good thread y itself as well.

Remember, every second reading the "sun" is a second you failed to read something worthwhile.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    A wealthy young married couple with three young children have a blazing row, and somehow this is news worthy of being "the public interest". Of course it is mildly interesting to the public, but that's not really the public interest.

And all this from a newspaper editor who was furious when another publication disclosed things about her private life.

News International should be shut down.

A lawyer gave News International "permission" to print.From the article.....
    the judge ruled in its favour on the grounds that the story was in the public interest

Who do you want/expect to "shut down" News International?

seeker
  • Options
    As long as the papers have to print apologies taking up as much space as the initial story I don't see the problem.

with this story i couldnt care less, but in other cases it doesnt matter how big an apology is, if the damage is allready done, its done

and thats before you get into the concept of things like people not seeing the apology, not believing it etc
  • Options
    Seems like it happens all over. Completely useless stories making it into news.
  • Options
    What is of public interest and what interests the public are two completely different things. Shame on this judge for not being able to grasp such simple concept.

I'm surprised celebrities haven't chipped together to create a tabloid of their own, which concentrates on the lives of the editors and proprietors of the S*n, Star, Daily BlackMail and so on. Everyone has skeletons in their closet, and I'm sure it'd be in the public interest to know what the likes of Rupert Murdoch, Rebekah Wade, Paul Dacre and co. get up to in their private lives. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I'd rather not know what Paul Dacre got up to in his spare time, I wouldn't imagine it'd be pleasant. As for Wade, I'm not sure who's uglier: that sour-faced bint, or her "celebrity" husband.
  • Options
    For all their ultra-obsession with "paedos", Wade and Dacre are more than happy to print endless images and saucy comments about minors such as the girl who plays Hermoine in the Harry Potter movies, or Charlotte Church when she was 14-15.

I think we should keep a close look on them. Something is not right...