Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

a legal question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
is it possible to break say an english law in another country which has its own laws

say being charged in england for breaking a english law when in spain even what you done there is defined as legal

and if you accuse someone of blackmailing you how does it work with the police?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i don't think so...in america you have to be 21 to drink...regardless of what your own country's law is on that...
    is it possible to break say an english law in another country which has its own laws

say being charged in england for breaking a english law when in spain even what you done there is defined as legal

and if you accuse someone of blackmailing you how does it work with the police?

no. sovereignty and jurisdiction doesn't spread outside of a country..........i still don't like the whole idea of extradition treaties........soon EU law will supercede national ones tho, then in theory you could get arrested anywhere in europe for breaking that.......
    I'm sure I read that foreign nationals were charged in their own countries for going to places like Thailand and having sex with children...
    Various crimes which don't have to take place in the UK - child sex is one, war crimes is another, treason a third.
    i still don't like the whole idea of extradition treaties

Why not? Otherwise I could commit a bank robbery and murder in the UK and then go across to France and live on the proceeds of my crime.
    NQA wrote:
    Why not? Otherwise I could commit a bank robbery and murder in the UK and then go across to France and live on the proceeds of my crime.

and you could also be brought up on bogus terrorist charges by someone like the u.s. and extradited to face some yankee justice...........and if they want you bad enough i'm sure they could invent the proof, i just think like with most other rules it has the potential to be abused...........mind you it doesn't really matter anyways, if they can't extradite you the mossad will just abduct you and be done with it.....mordechai vanunu anyone?
    apollo_69 wrote:
    and you could also be brought up on bogus terrorist charges by someone like the u.s. and extradited to face some yankee justice...........

I could, but its unlikely. The US may be wrong, but there not picking up innocents just for the fun of it. Without extradition its more likely that people will get away with crimes.

and if they want you bad enough i'm sure they could invent the proof, i just think like with most other rules it has the potential to be abused

Thats not an argument against extradition. Its an argument for making sure that there is due process in place to the countries you extradite to.
    ...........mind you it doesn't really matter anyways, if they can't extradite you the mossad will just abduct you and be done with it.....mordechai vanunu anyone?

Which is a stronger case for extradition. If there are no extradicition procedures you may as well go and kidnap your criminals from other countries. That probably benefits places like the US more than it benefits Luxemburg.
    British law only applies in the borders of the UK, unless exopressly stated otherwise.

I presume you have slept with a certain someone, and I would tell you not to worry. If she was of legal age in Spain then you have broken no law.
    apollo_69 wrote:
    and you could also be brought up on bogus terrorist charges by someone like the u.s. and extradited to face some yankee justice...........and if they want you bad enough i'm sure they could invent the proof, i just think like with most other rules it has the potential to be abused...........

don't know what you're talking about :rolleyes: people accused of terrorism in the states get all the rights guaranteed to them by the constitution.

but honestly we should hold the policy of extradition and terrorism laws as two very different things. Extradition laws can be useful in helping to bring criminals to justice. Terrorism laws are built on shaky principles and will hopefully one day be found illegal.
    don't know what you're talking about :rolleyes: people accused of terrorism in the states get all the rights guaranteed to them by the constitution.

even in gitmo?
    EPSECIALY IN GITMO!

i kid, i kid.

That is actually perfectly true.

They move the suspects out of the states instead:)
    all i'm saying is that in today's climate due process is a joke, you dont even need due process to declare a war anymore, so who cares about one or two 'terrorist scum' locked away in abu ghraib and guantanamo...........the principles of extradition are fair enough, i just have trust issues........
    but they are two different things
    EPSECIALY IN GITMO!

i kid, i kid.

:D I'll pick my jaw back off the ground.
    International crimes are piracy (where they reclassify you as another form of humanity) and genocide.

Jurisdiction is indeed an important element in any crime.

The prosecution does indeed have to prove that you are within their jurisdiction in order for there to be a crime. Based on facts, might I add.
    no. sovereignty and jurisdiction doesn't spread outside of a country

So there must be proof of soveriegnty based on facts.