Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Help!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi! Besides being new to this site i need some help

I want 2 get in2 making my own clothes because things are expensive or when i do find sumthing i like i usually want to make changes on it. But getting into making my own clothes i don't really want to spend 2 much money.... i already have a sewing machine. I would like advice, sites , ect., on what i could make first of all.

I'm currently looking for help into making a plaid skirt. I would like any advice on this like where to find some good plaid material, how to make a pattern, etc.

Thanks in advance to anybody who helps :wave:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    try PMing kaffrin she does all that stuff
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    do you have any experience in making clothes at all? if you don't, it's not quite as simple as just whipping up a pattern/masterpiece right from the word go. it's practice, practice, practice.

the easiest thing to make as a start is a simple tote bag. two squares of fabric, one strap, and away you go. there are loads of ideas and tutorials at www.craftster.org for all sorts of stuff. they'll also be able to help you with finding fabric. as you said 'plaid', i'm guessing you're american.

making custom patterns takes quite a lot of practice and skill, and if you're a beginner, i'd recommend making up a few store-bought patterns before you try and wing it. they don't have to be expensive, they're often on sale, and there are LOADS on ebay. you can make a basic skirt pattern by just tracing round a skirt that fits you well, but it'll look quite shit, to be honest. the darts, waistband and construction is everything.