Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cleaning jewellary

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How can you clean jewellary without using jewellary cleaner? Is there anything else such as household items that you could use?

Comments

• Options
    perhaps a duster or a soft chamois

or you can buy special cleaning cloths, what is it for?
  • Options
    Washing up liquid brings them up nice and new.

Get a bowl of warm soapy water and drop them in, leave them for a while and then take them out and dry them throughly with a towel. They will come up really nice.
  • Options
    I dont advise using soap. It will make them look nice for a while but the chemicals in them encourage tarnishing. I've been working at a jewellers for over 2 years now, so I know what I'm talking about. There are some specail cloths you can get from your local jewellers that cost about a fiver. They polish up silver and gold really well.

If they are really badly tarnished they will either need to be put into a polishing barrel, sent away for polishing or having them rodeum plated would do the job.
  • Options
    It is just for a ring.
  • Options
    My friends jeweller grandfather told us to boil water, put in the jewellery and then make these small balls of silver household paper (don't know if you have it in England) and stir for a little while. We tried it, and it does make a good job!
  • Options
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    It is just for a ring.

is it a silver ring?

tarnished silver can be cleaned really easily (and for free) by just wearing it for a few days (and/or just giving it a good rub on soft but sturdy fabric - denim or canvas works well)

the only time you would really need to get expert help was if it was a really detailed ring, and there were bits you couldn't reach. :yippe: