Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

HELP! ~~> transfer uni!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi ive never been on one of these websites before but just thought it may help me!
Basically im really not enjoying university at all, the people, the place, everything.
As im going into the last term this year i am thinking it may be better to transfer at the end of the year, for the start of next year, instead of dropping out altogether.
I just really dont know what to do though, how do you even begin to transfer, and can you just transfer anywhere?!
I am such an outgoing person and was really looking forward to going to uni, however the whole experience so far has just been so bad, i never thought i would be in this situation, EVER! im not a geek or anything like that and i love meeting new people so i dont know why this is happening to me.
i feel so depressed about it, there is no where to go for help!! i cant find any information on transferring anywhere.

thanks! :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Sorry to hear your feeling so sad at your University situation. Going way to University can be a big upheaval at the best of times.

I'll try and see what information I can dig out for you tomorrow.

Take Care x
  • Options
    think about why you are unhappy at your current university - is it likely to be the same elsewhere?
    and go and talk to your university's career service - they can offer you some unbias advice on how to go about it.
    but you will need to talk to the university course director of where it is you want to go.
  • Options
    If you do decide to trasfer you have to get transfer letters from both your current university and the university you'll be transfering to, to say that they're happy with that. But as has been said, go and talk to your careers department because they will be able to help you with everything.
  • Options
    My mate changed uni, it was just a case of re-applying thru UCAS. A lot of the time you can't really carry your 1st year over as such. But youll have to ask the uni to be sure. The uni should be quite helpfull go ask them.

Bopz
  • Options
    Bopperz wrote:
    My mate changed uni, it was just a case of re-applying thru UCAS. A lot of the time you can't really carry your 1st year over as such. But youll have to ask the uni to be sure. The uni should be quite helpfull go ask them.

I thought you only had to re-apply through UCAS if you were changing course as well, but even then you have to have transfer letters or at least I did 5 years ago.
  • Options
    what uni are you at now, and what's wrong with it? (if u don't mind me asking)
  • Options
    I am doing exactly the same thing and here is what I did

*Contacted desired university to get a non-official comformation of my place on the course
    *Applied through UCAS Online

Once that is done I will simply tell my University and that will be that :)
  • Options
    I'm sorting out a university transfer at the moment, though mine is complicated as I started 2nd year at the place I was.
    Anyway, i just emailed the place I want to go, they said there shouldn't be a problem with me going straight into 2nd year there.
    I have to reapply through UCAS, with a reference from a tutor at my original Uni, and that's that. Hopefully there shouldn't be a problem and all will be sorted.
    Just contact the place you want to go asap and see what they say. You'll have to be a late applicant through UCAS but so long as the institution is expecting it there shouldn't be a problem. I had an offer in the first place from where I am transferring to so that made it a lot easier.
  • Options
    my friend is transfering and still doing the same course. she has had to go through the whole UCAS thing again. i think as long u contact the uni u wish to go to and ask them for advice and go to the relevant office at your uni to see what they have to say.i would start as quick as possible to get the ball rolling!good luck!