Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Working with Children

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anybody on here have a job where they work with children or know a friend that does?

Like a teacher, youth club leader, teaching assistant, children's ward in a hospital, baby sitter/child minder etc.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    best thing to do if you are interested in areas of work like this, is probly get in touch with some local youth centre or something, that deals with kids a decent gap below your age, and see them about any help you can give a hand with

they will/should also be able to talk to you about any checks and stuff you may need to do to work with children etc, and stuff like that
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Crispy wrote:
    Does anybody on here have a job where they work with children or know a friend that does?

Like a teacher, youth club leader, teaching assistant, children's ward in a hospital, baby sitter/child minder etc.

Yus.

What do you want to know? I'm presuming you want to work with children now? What age group? What exactly do you want to do?

If you want to work with older children then you can do what MrG suggested. If you want to work in a children's ward then the best thing to do would be to find out about their volunteering services. My old local children's hospital had a really good volunteering service.

Getting work as a teacher's assistant is hard work so I would suggest that if you want to do this try and volunteer in a school first, build up some experience and get a feel for what you could be doing.

And getting a job as a teacher requires you to have the qualification ;)
    What do you want to know?

Everything :hyper:
    I'm presuming you want to work with children now?

With the 'now' I presume you've read some of my other typings on thesite;)

To be totally honest i've always wanted to work with children :yes:
    What age group?

Primary school age but more infants than juniors. So 5-8 years olds I think. More Year 1-Year 2 possible Year 3.
    What exactly do you want to do?

Just basically help children out & get paid o do it:)
    If you want to work in a children's ward then the best thing to do would be to find out about their volunteering services. My old local children's hospital had a really good volunteering service.

A children's ward is just an example I used I'm not into anything medical. I'm thinking more along the lines of in a school environment.
    Getting work as a teacher's assistant is hard work so I would suggest that if you want to do this try and volunteer in a school first, build up some experience and get a feel for what you could be doing.

Do you mean it's hard work to get work as a TA or being a TA is hard work??

Any ideas what's involved in becoming a TA?

Back in 2003 I was a volunteer for an entire academic year where I was helping out a Year 1 class on a wednesday afternoon @ my local primiary. This placement was arranged when I was @ 6th form(left after 4 months) but I continued to volunteer on the placement for the entire year rather than just stopping.
    And getting a job as a teacher requires you to have the qualification ;)

Yeah I know all about that as my sis graduated last year from doing teaching & my gf is currently @ uni doing teaching as well but it's not the level @ which i'd want to go to.

Thanks for your questions they've helped me lots:yes:
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Crispy wrote:
    Just basically help children out & get paid o do it:)

It is a *very* competitve sector at the moment, honestly. To start off with, volunteering may be your best option and then you can get a bit of experience (which they require *lots* of unfortunately.

A children's ward is just an example I used I'm not into anything medical. I'm thinking more along the lines of in a school environment.

By what I said I didn't mean go as a volunteer nurse or whatever. I meant to volunteer to go along and play and help entertain the kids. It is a wonderfully rewarding (albeit hard) thing to do and would also look good on a CV when applying for other jobs.

Do you mean it's hard work to get work as a TA or being a TA is hard work??

Any ideas what's involved in becoming a TA?

You don't need any qualifications apart from GCSE English or something similar. It is hard work to get a job as a TA as schools ask for A LOT of experience and there are always loads of applicants for each TA position that comes up. I have quite a bit of experience in classrooms and found it really difficult to get work as a TA (I still haven't got any yet ...)

It is also quite hard work being a TA, especially with the infants as they want your attention lots. It is also quite a huge responsibilty as a TA does everything that a teacher simply doesn't have the time for, as well as overseeing some children doing work (well ... if the teacher uses the TA the way they are supposed to, that is ...)

Thanks for your questions they've helped me lots:yes:

You are welcome.

Working with kids is such a difficult thing to do, you have to have the right temperament for it. However, it is one of the most rewarding jobs I think. Especially when one of the infants gives you a picture they drew "especially for you" for the first time. I have kept all the pictures that kids have drawn for me, and remember exactly who drew what. Yes, I am sad!
    It is a *very* competitve sector at the moment, honestly. To start off with, volunteering may be your best option and then you can get a bit of experience (which they require *lots* of unfortunately.

I'm quite happy to volunteer as it's the only way to gain experience. Just being offered a placement some where would have me bouncing around :hyper: Knowing that I'm wanted to help out would be fantastic:)
    You don't need any qualifications apart from GCSE English or something similar.

I've got a C in English Language & a B in English Literature.

Do you know anything about the NVQ Level 2 for Teaching/Classroom Assistants qualification?
    It is also quite hard work being a TA, especially with the infants as they want your attention lots. It is also quite a huge responsibilty as a TA does everything that a teacher simply doesn't have the time for, as well as overseeing some children doing work (well ... if the teacher uses the TA the way they are supposed to, that is ...)

Sounds alright to me i'm a very patient person & I know where my limitations are i.e. i've only got one pair of hands & can only talk to one child @ a time. Being a TA sounds pretty similar to what I was doing on my volunteer placement.

For example I was left in charge of say a group of about 5 children whilst the teacher read a story to the rest of the class. The group consisted of children that took that little bit longer to finish their art work off. So I helped them to finish of their work:)
    You are welcome.

Working with kids is such a difficult thing to do, you have to have the right temperament for it. However, it is one of the most rewarding jobs I think.

That's the thing that appeals to me is that I can have a positive impact on a childs life which proves extremely rewarding & satisfying for me.

Like you doing up a childs coat it's not a big deal for me but it maybe a task that the child is not compentant to do it for themself yet.
    Especially when one of the infants gives you a picture they drew "especially for you" for the first time. I have kept all the pictures that kids have drawn for me, and remember exactly who drew what. Yes, I am sad!

Nah your not sad:no: When I got 2 christmas cards off 2 children on my placement I was totally surprised. I was only there for x amount of afternoons & they went to the effort to give me a card so I was obvioulsy remembered by those 2 children. Aww bless :blush:
    You've experienced the snotty brats and you want more? :eek2: :razz: At least you've already had some experience so that will help you as anyone you volunteer to will be able to contact the school you went to. Hope it goes well. Just keep asking around.