Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Schools urged to use sniffer dogs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4462065.stm
A proactive dog, typically a spaniel, searched buildings and classrooms, while a passive dog, a labrador, was stationed inside school gates to detect whether pupils were carrying drugs, or had come into contact with them.

Is it just me that finds this whole thing a little disturbing?
Random drug tests on pupils have also been used at the Abbey School in Faversham, Kent, since January.

That's trust for you isn't it. I know that companies have started doing similar things with employees (responses vary from counselling to the sack, probably dependant on whether your face fits). What gets me is the passivity of those involved and the fact that so many people are in favour of this kind of draconian police state crap.

Given that ID cards are going to be introduced and they are in the same moral territory I am wondering about the chance of any effective resistance being offered. Personally I despise this nosy, "drugs are always bad" right wing approach but the case is so easy to make for it and against the individual. "If you have nothing to hide why are you bothered" isn't easy to answer without admitting you might have something to hide.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    It may well be effective at preventing kids taking cannabis.

It will however not stop any of them drinking, something that has worse social harm attached to it.

It will also further isolate those kids who really need to be in school and make them feel hounded. This will mean they are less likely to get decent results and leave school with qualifications.

Like in a work situation if there was a good relationship between teachers and pupils you wouldnt need this at all.

And the fact that a tabloid has sponsored this round of testing in Kent I find to be vile, they are clearly trying to use the kids for their own profit.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    "If you have nothing to hide why are you bothered" isn't easy to answer without admitting you might have something to hide.

Thoughts?

Admittedly,not always practical,but if you decide to answer an offensive question like that,do it offensively rather than defensively.

e.g. I DO have plenty to hide but I`ll choose when,or if,I show (some of) it to you.

seeker