Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Aupair work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am taking a Gap Year to earn some money before Uni, and was thinking of being an aupair/ mother's help. The problem is I am young - 17 in July, and so am finding it hard to get to a decent website/ job. Also everyone seems to be looking for damn foreigners. I was wondering if anyone knew of a decent website/magazine/anthing for aupairs, or any friends or relatives who wold like to employ a responsible : ) aupair or mother's help.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey hon,

Don't have any first-hand experience of this but since there hasn't been any other input I figure it's better than nothing :)

Two years ago I worked in a ski resort in Austria and made very good friends with two aupairs who were working there; one American and one British. One was 17 (turned 18 while we were there) and the other 20, and they both used the same website to track down their families. I believe it was www.greataupair.com. I can't personally vouch for how good it is, but apparently you can either pay for membership and have access to contact details and full info about families...or you can have the basic package and allow families to contact you.

As for families wanting foreigners, I know what my friends had found (especially the Brit, who was 17) was that prospective families were skeptical of Brits/Americans/Aussies wanting such a low-paid job that involves a lot of work. Unlike a lot of aupairs who come from countries where the rate of pay and job prospects are dire, they're...suspicious, even, of someone coming from a country where they could probably get a much easier job for more money and less input. The initial idea of aupairing being a "cultural exchange" has been lost along the way a little I think, and that's maybe why you're having a bit of trouble finding a family. If you do set up a profile on one of these sites then emphasise your desire to experience a different culture, country and language. If you have a basic knowledge of the language of your desired country, then shout that from the rooftops...if you're willing to learn, then make that known too. Put yourself forward as a mature, confident young woman...talk up any babysitting job or experience with children. The language issue is probably also an issue for some families...such as a family living in Spain where the mother is a native of France, for instance. They might want a French-speaking aupair to encourage the children's French since they don't get an opportunity to speak it otherwise. That said, this circumstance could work to your advantage, if they're an English-speaking family who've moved abroad, or have one parent whose first language is English. You just have to look out for these instances, and then make yourself known to them!

I would say that I doubt you'll get anything before July (and your 17th birthday), as I know many aupair agencies and sites declare 17 as the youngest age...and if you go to a country where they have official rules and contracts for aupairs (advisable, to ensure you're treated well) then it'll be essential.

That's all I have to say really, I hope I haven't put you off with this babbling. I know from my friends that it can be an utterly fantastic experience. The American I knew is still living out there, she fell in love with the place and the people to such an extent. So go for it, just make sure you go through proper channels and always ensure your own safety and well-being. If you need any more info then send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with someone who can tell you a bit more about it all ;)

Good luck :D