Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

acknowledgements in dissertations

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm just writing my acknowledgements for my dissertation and it sounds really cheesey. What did anyone else write or is going to write? This is what I've written, how would you change it.

I would like to thank my tutor Peter Somerville for the help and guidance he has given me. I would also like to thank John Murphy of the Dingle, Granby and Toxteth Education Action Zone for all his help and valuable resources he sent to me.

I would like to thank Mum, Alison and Claire for keeping me motivated and lastly to my boyfriend Jonathan who has been there for me.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sounds ok to me. I remember in the last dissertation i devoted it to the memory of Dave Williams from Drowning Pool, who died about the same time i was submitting it. This year i may dedicate it to Dimebag Darrel. Who reads that shit anyway?
    Both the company I was working with and my project tutor at the university let me down severely when writing my project, as such I genuinly could not bring myself to thank any individuals in my acknowledgements. The final paragraph read as follows:
    I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who have contributed in any way, shape or form to the completion of this project report. Those at Tradeteam and the University of Huddersfield for their advice and support, friends for their ideas and criticisms and my parents for their invaluable financial support.
    I'm not being funny but what is a dissteration for? :blush:
    I would like to thank my tutor Peter Somerville for the help and guidance he has given me. I would also like to thank John Murphy of the Dingle, Granby and Toxteth Education Action Zone for all his help and valuable resources he sent to me.

I would like to thank Mum, Alison and Claire for keeping me motivated and lastly to my boyfriend Jonathan who has been there for me.

what course do you do? it doesn't really seem appropriate to me, but I do a medical science...

erm, the words i would like to thank are in there 3 times... could you possibly re-word it? there should also be a comma after 'alison', 'motivated', and probably after the second 'help', otherwise it can read as 'help and valuable resources he has sent me'... if that makes sense.
    Acknowledgements

I must say I agree with ultrablue's comments actually. At the end of the day acknowledgements won't change your degree classification, but then again neither should they be mispelt (is that how you spell it?) or repetitive. The secret is keep it short, succcint and to the point. Thank the bloddy guy who is marking it, i.e. dissertation tutor and anyone who has pointed you in the direction of facilitated the accessibility of additional/extended research. There that sounds good. And to look posh thank your French 'Maman'. "Je voudrais juste dire un mot en francais de mon part a ma mere decede tragiquement il ya cinq ans dans un accident de voiture; sans toi et ton esprit gardant moi du paradis, je ne serais pas la fille plein de confiance que je suis aujourd'hui."

That's: I would just like to say for my part to deceased mother who tragically died in a car accident five years ago, without you and your spirit looking down on me from heaven, I would not be the girl brimming over with confidence that I am today."

seriously, it's about getting the sympathy vote - tehy'll be so impressed with your language skills when they try and get a friend to translate it as they struggle, they might bump your mark up. That's just an example, of curse you could write I'd like to thank the best and (still living) Mum in the world, who has been my rock in Russian. Whatever brings a smile to your tutor's face. Hopefully, they have a sense of humour.

No guesses for which degree I did :-)
    Please don't take my black comedy sense of humour to heart. The point is, they won't be reading that acknowledgements bit, unless you've left them £500, or sth. They are interested in te content and standard of your work. Don't say I want to thank Mum is smacks of cheese and is too informal, say I would like to thank Melinda Pallsworthy (my mother), my father Richard Pallsworthy and Vicar Blake at Reading Methodist Church etc...I'm sure you get the picture. Anyway, I am interested to know what your degree to be is now? eh? We all want to know methinks :-)
    Sorry but Peter Somerville has helped you? Everyone I know wouldn't ever believe this!
This discussion has been closed.