Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Macintyre's Underworld

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Macintyre's been at it again :rolleyes: .

Fairly interesting programme...but one thing which pissed me off somewhat...was the the recurring referrals to drugs destroying communities accompanied with the filming of people smoking weed.

Macintyre's talking about heroin, the scouse gangster is talking about his son dying of a heroin overdose...etc etc...and they're showing someone smoking some grass? Fucking ridiculous :no: .

Came back from a party early on somewhat wasted last night, tele was fairly good. Drugs & gangsters lol. Programme on BBC 1 i think was also good - "Britain's Streets of Vice" or something like that it was called. Followed some junkies about the streets trying to aquire money and banging smack. Fairly aimless programme though from what i can remember - never once did they suggest sorting junkies out with a legal supply and shooting galleries, which would have alleviated the problems the programme was focussing on.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think Macintyre is a good reporter I used to enjoy his undercover work alot. Watched a program of his last week about the gay gangsa, Domanic Noonan. shame he wasn't undercover but it was still good.
    I always wondered about Macintyre and his "undercover" work....i mean, ok, infilitrate dubious scenes, expose them, get them arrested....but what about their allies, associates, their release dates from prison? lol.
    If i was him, id lock myself in a big bunker and never venture onto tv/into the outside world again.

Peace
    i saw that mc intyre sp? program on tv last night and i hope to god that c*nt Paul Grimes gets whats comin to him...i'm a firm believer in trust and fair play...hate touts and to send your son down at the same time... :mad:

saw a bit of the other one aswell...felt sorry for the lad on heroin...looked like a decent chap but thats what happens if you let heroin get a grip of ya...
    I think Macintyre is a good reporter I .

i reckon he is too but ...he knows how to put a show together too.

an awful lot of this stuff has to be arranged and managed and lit etc ...

i reckon you'll discover in later years ...or even months ...how much ...YOU WERE HAD.
    haven't got a clue what you all on about....sorry but i don't,...really.
    i reckon he is too but ...he knows how to put a show together too.

an awful lot of this stuff has to be arranged and managed and lit etc ...

i reckon you'll discover in later years ...or even months ...how much ...YOU WERE HAD.

He doesn't let the truth get in the way of a good tale, put it that way :yes: .
    Frankly, I think MacIntyre's more interested in being controversial than actually exposing any hidden truths.

He plays up to received wisdom as well, if he thinks it'll make him popular. Rememebr that programme he did a few years ago about how supposedly lawless inner London is? He took an expensive laptop and flashed it round Brixton at night, trying to get himself mugged. For four nights, no-one said anything to him except 'I wouldn't flash that computer round here mate - someone might nick it!' Finally, he had to wander into the roughest estate in Brixton before someone actually did take it off him - at which point he started melodramatically blubbing his eyes out for the camera. To me, his programme showed how comparatively safe bits of London are - and yet he still spun it as some sort of fearless expedition into the urban jungle. Like spliffie says, he doesn't let the truth stand in the way of a good story.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Ahh, now I know who you are talking about, I saw that and I have to say I agree with you - that programme was so sensationalised it wasn't even funny.
    There are sections of London that are a bit rough and tumble, parts of Tower Hamlets for example, but even Hackney isnt anywhere near as bad as its popular image.

I think London, for a big city, is really pretty safe. I've seen more fights and trouble in small towns than I ever have in London.
    bongbudda wrote:
    I think London, for a big city, is really pretty safe. I've seen more fights and trouble in small towns than I ever have in London.

Same here. I don't find London threatening, although there are parts of it I'd prefer not to linger too long after dark. It's the same in most cities IME - I'd rather walk through Hull late at night than most small towns I've known.
    I've wandered around fairly nasty bits of Jo'Burg, so compared to that virtually anywhere seems like Disney Land.

Though as you say, there are parts of London I wouldnt want to linger all that long.
    When i was in London i didn't find it in anyway threating at all, Barcelona was worse, being followed through back streets by some dodgy looking moroccoan person, he actually followed us right back to the doors of the place we were staying and looked through the window, you had to walk up stairs as soon as you walked in the door and we were standing at the top of the stairs looking down and this was in the middle of the night about 2 or 3am and after drinking beer and smoking pollen all day imagine how freaked out we must have been.
    I live in an area of London with a bad reputation, and I think if you are comfortable in your environment, you act confident, stay to the busier roads at night and are sensible about where you do and don't walk, trouble doesn't come looking for you 99.9% of the time.
    LadyJade wrote:
    I live in an area of London with a bad reputation, and I think if you are comfortable in your environment, you act confident, stay to the busier roads at night and are sensible about where you do and don't walk, trouble doesn't come looking for you 99.9% of the time.

too true

i live in an area with a bad reputation but to me its home ... you're right, being confident is the main thing and knowing where to go and not to go

i dont understand it, i could walk anywhere around my area really and be fine but if it was one of my mates theres a fair chance they'd end up with a kickin
    It's complicated.

Most things are
    LadyJade wrote:

I know a bird from Peckham, some of her stories paint a different picture...brother being CS gassed and slapped about etc when he's minding his own business.

It's the schemes and rough housing estates of any city you have to be careful of.
    yeah LJ i've gotta agree with Spliffe.

When i moved from Safamptun (Southampton) to Brum the first thing i noticed was i dont see large groups of kids walking around like you do in Southampton. What you see more of are dodgy fuckers in ones, twos and threes (like on Corporation Street) just walking around intimidating people, trying to catch the eye. I get the impression i'm more in danger of being mugged than anything else, whereas back home trouble DID come looking for you and there was fuck all you could do about it.

Groups of drunk and beaned up nippers walking around Millbrook and Shirley (by groups i mean 10-20) looking for people minding their own business. Sticking to major roads and 'looking confident' wont help you. It bloody will when there's 2-3 of em, but not in the groups im talking about. If I get the attention of a group of nipers like that, first sign of interest in me im OFF.

I dont worry about 1's and 2's when im in Southampton, just like i dont tend to expect a massive group of kids in central Brum.
    yeah LJ i've gotta agree with Spliffe.

When i moved from Safamptun (Southampton) to Brum the first thing i noticed was i dont see large groups of kids walking around like you do in Southampton. What you see more of are dodgy fuckers in ones, twos and threes (like on Corporation Street) just walking around intimidating people, trying to catch the eye. I get the impression i'm more in danger of being mugged than anything else, whereas back home trouble DID come looking for you and there was fuck all you could do about it.

Groups of drunk and beaned up nippers walking around Millbrook and Shirley (by groups i mean 10-20) looking for people minding their own business. Sticking to major roads and 'looking confident' wont help you. It bloody will when there's 2-3 of em, but not in the groups im talking about. If I get the attention of a group of nipers like that, first sign of interest in me im OFF.

I dont worry about 1's and 2's when im in Southampton, just like i dont tend to expect a massive group of kids in central Brum.

Aye. Big gang culture in all cities these days...if you ain't running with a gang...then you're an easy target.
    but i dont think i made clear that its the 2 or 3 mateys that scare me more, because you get the real feeling they dont give a fuck and they arent messin about.
    I do think it is a bit different for males and gangs of kids, all the people I know who have had trouble from them have been male.