Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What is a P60

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i don't know what it is i have just left my Apprenticiship and my dad wants to
know if i get a p60 i mean does it apply to me i am in training and only got 40 a week

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i was only on the training for 4 month and signed off on the 1st april
    can i ask the training provider if i can get one
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    A P60 is a record of the tax and income earned during the previous tax year. If you worked in the last tax year you should recieve one.
    when you leave work you get a p45.

if you do not get a p45, your new employer or post office can give you a p60 that is posted off

You what? Why would you get a P45 or P60 from the post office???

You only get a P60 from your employer if you were employed at 5th April. It's called a certificate of pay and tax. If you aren't employed at 5th April you don't get one, and if you think you are due a repayment you should send in your P45's for the tax year in question instead.

Gladiator - you may get a P60. Depends on when you recieved your last pay packet. If there was a payday between 1st April and 5th April then you won't get one.
    it don't matter my boss told me that i did not pay any tax so
    do not need one
    You do need one, to prove your income for the year.

If you got a pay slip between 1-5 April, as joolyknockers said, you won't get a P60 as your payslip shows your income and tax paid for the year (in your case, none).

It appears that poisonfary is getting confused as to what a P60 is. A P60 is not the form you fill in to tell the IR that your job is your only or main job.
    Kermit wrote:
    You do need one, to prove your income for the year.

If you got a pay slip between 1-5 April, as joolyknockers said, you won't get a P60 as your payslip shows your income and tax paid for the year (in your case, none).

It appears that poisonfary is getting confused as to what a P60 is. A P60 is not the form you fill in to tell the IR that your job is your only or main job.

If your employer doesn't deduct any tax or national insurance then he isn't obliged to give you a P60. Some employers do, but thats their choice to. The employer will instead list your pay details on the Employers Annual Return which he then sends to the tax office.

You need to keep your wage slips and the P45 you received from your employer as your records for the year.

I think Poision Fairy is a tad confused but if she needs a hand she can always give me a shout. I think she means a P46, and that the tax office want her 2004/2005 P60 which she should receive by 19th May so they can repay last years tax.
    if you dont have a p45 from your last job when you left, you fill in a p60 and your new job will then sort you tax code out so you dont get emergency taxed.

also i have been told to fill in a p60 and send to th tax office from last year.

its the beginning of the tax year today.

You're talking about a P46. Someone has already explained what a P60 is...
    well the other thing is from last tax year 2 this 1 he told me i would have
    had to earned over £4000 which i didnt so i don't get one