Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

i need a job

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i need a job! i hate the one im in now!

i recently left uni as i realised i didnt want to do the course i was doing. so i am now working full time in a dry cleaners (which was my saturday job) and im hoping to go to college in september (but i dont know what i want to do yet)
but i cant stay at this job untill then, im going crazy already and i've only done 4 weeks full time :banghead:
i found out last week that they are only paying me £3.99 an hour and they have now said they will sort it out, but im bored shitless and its a crap place to work and the people are unfriendly.
so i want a new job, full time untill mid august (so i can have a little break/holiday before college starts) but i have no idea what i wanna do.
something challenging with nice people. thats the only specification.
ive looked on job sites but they dont seem helpful, just come back with loads of things you have to be qualified for.
is my best bet the job center?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i found out last week that they are only paying me £3.99 an hour and they have now said they will sort it out, but im bored shitless and its a crap place to work and the people are unfriendly.

For a start you should report them because thats illegal, minimum wage for 18 year olds is £4.10.

Seeing as the job is only untill september have you considered supermarket work? You get over £5 an hour and usuallly flexible hours and all that and i'ts pretty easy work. Theres no point starting a 'career' job if you are only going to be doing it for a few months if you get my drift. You could do office temp work if that takes your fancy, same with bar/resturant jobs.

:)
    Yea h i would suggest bar work, the people are usually friendly and can work hours mostly to suit you although it may be on a rota and you may have to do late closes.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I know you said you have looked at job sites but have you tried this one?
    Its especially good for holiday jobs and in my experience you get a brisk response to applications.

http://www.justjobs4students.co.uk/

Good luck ;)
    i need a job! i hate the one im in now!

i recently left uni as i realised i didnt want to do the course i was doing. so i am now working full time in a dry cleaners ....

Does that mean you no longer want to be a nurse? or you just didn't like the course that you have to go through to become one? or something else?

Anyway you could drop your CV around to some local businesses, just in case they need someone - if they were to hire someone from an agency they'd be paying the agency around £9 an hour and you'd be getting about half of that in some jobs.. at one place I worked it turned out the agency got more money per hour then the girl that was working through them for the company ... when the company found out ... they rung up the agency and had a real go at them... there should besome law that stops agencies getting more then the person how's doing the work.