Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

key skills

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Why oh why!?!
That's all I have to ask.

I was at college last year doing a first diploma and I opted out of key skills as I was old enough to do so. I really didn't want to spend nearly 2 hours of my week doing more college work that I didn't need to.

So why on earth and I being made to do them this year?! I've spoken to my tutor and she says that the college now wants everyone to do them. I have B grades at GCSE and I'm pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong) that key skills certificates are only equivilant to grade Cs.

I did the tests on the computer and I nearly fell asleep! Soooo boring!

Is it just me that feels that this is a pointless waste of time?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    We do key skills, someone said they're worth 10 points on your UCAS form for every level 3 you get. I think its bullshit, and it wouldn't be worth 10 points anyway!

It is a big pile of wank and I would rather concentrate on my subjects than that stupid shit, same with General Studies.

All I do is piss around in my Key Skills.
  • Options
    General Studies is not a waste of time, to be quite fair. Away from teh top universities, they accept GS as an A'Level, and if GS is the difference between getting in and not it's not a waste of time.

My insurance offer aty Abderdeen included General Studies, so an A in that was quite useful.

GS isn't much effort, but it's effort worth putting in.

Key Skills is bollocks, though, I'm glad that they hadn't introduced it when I did the old A'Levels.
  • Options
    Don't go to the lessons, take the exams at the end, some extra pointless qualification won't hurt. My older brother took and passed general studies just because he read a newspaper every day.
  • Options
    I didn't do mine, didn't see the point. Every lesson bored me to tears so I dropped them after a while. It doesn't seem to have hindered me in any way.
  • Options
    yeh i started going only to meet people, and my entire bunch of colelge friends, stemmed from knowing 2 people in there

then i dtiched it

key skills ICT - what a joke, could do it with my eyes closed but was so tedious i just played aorund with computers
  • Options
    I don't seem to have the option of dropping it :(

The college is cracking down so much that if you miss 2 lessons in a row you're on disiplinary which is bollocks!

I'm going to continue arguing with my tutor because being older than 18 and already having decent qualifications I shouldn't have to do it. I'm going to go on strike next week, do a sit down protest in the middle of the key skills room
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    My older brother took and passed general studies just because he read a newspaper every day.

i didn't even do that. the only work i did for it was going to the exam. and i got a B.

General Studies (at least when i took it) relied entirely on your general knowledge and ability to construct an argument. so if you are fairly intelligent, competent at essay writing and have a certain amount of awareness of the world around you, you're going to pass.

and having an extra A level never hurts. especially for someone like me.
  • Options
    I just found out i did a whole year of I.t Keyskills for no reason, i had passed the portfolio years back and was retaking but my tutor told me that my portfolio pass had expired so i had to do it again and the exam aswell. But it was the worst part when she was telling me i wouldnt pass it and i got my certificate months before anyone else cos id passed the portfolio anyway. Gettin up at 7 every thursday to go to that first lesson!!...wot a waste of time....!!!!! :mad: anyways, some unis dont even recognise keyskills as a guidance for entry levels :eek2: loadsa rubbish. Even my mate passed and his portfolio was still at home, haha!
  • Options
    Universities that are any good, i.e not the University of Neasden (formerly Windsor's World of Shoes), do not accept Keyu Skills as anything otehr than proof than you can spell.

It, quite seriously, isn't worth the paper it is written on. But it is a desperate sign of a government trying to make it look like it is doing something.

Other than Russell Group, General Studies is accepted as full a'Level, and becomes part of your offer. So instead of skiving, it's worth the one hour a week of studying.
  • Options
    General Studies? What the hell is that? I don't remember having to do that at college. I had to do Numeracy, though. Didn't have to do Information Technology, as I was doing Computing for AS Level anyway.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Other than Russell Group, General Studies is accepted as full a'Level, and becomes part of your offer. So instead of skiving, it's worth the one hour a week of studying.

Even then, it depends on the subject. I know for a fact that Manchester (I'm pretty sure it's in the Russell Group?) won't accept General Studies as part of an offer to study History, but accepts it for English Language.
  • Options
    See I wouldn't mind if it was general studies that I had to do but our college make you do key skills instead :mad:

I'm going to make a banner saying 'save my sanity' and sit in the classroom all lesson refusing to do anything
  • Options
    I hardly ever turned up for my Key Skills lectures. I was meant to do a Communications course, but I only turned up for the first lesson! I was told I'd have to do a 20-minute presentation in front of the whole class! So, I just thought: fuck off, I'm not doing that!
  • Options
    can i just ask is it a waste of time for some?

i have got 3 gcse at grade c and need another two to get on to a A level
    so right know i have started level 2 in I.T and Number and if i get
    them then i will have five gcse.

after reading all this i thinking it must be a load of bollocks
    i am only doing it because they said i can compleat it in 10 weeks
  • Options
    edited out because i was talking about something totally different due to being dumb.
  • Options
    the thing with me is i fail my gcse math exam 3 times and my mate
    told me to level 2 number of key skills because it is the same as
    gcse grade C in math

and although a lot of uni don't accept it yet colleges do
    when i pass which i am told is 100% i can do A levels next year
  • Options
    Back in the days when i was at college, they made me do KeySkills English, despite the fact that i have an A grade in English at GCSE and i have an
    A-Level in it! :banghead: Needless to say i passed.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Um, this thread is a bit old, especially as there is another thread on the same topic.