Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Ok...weird question:

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Has anyone ever dropped a course then started a new one in the next school year?

I'm really pissed off with IB, and it's way too much pressure and I can't do it. I'm really pissed off today because my Extended Essay has just gone tits up because my supervisor isn't my supervisor anymore because my fucking Psychology teacher fucked up. And she's spouting a load of crap about how I didn't give her my written proposal (I did. About 3 weeks ago). And that I have had six weeks to talk to Morag (the person that was meant to be my supervisor), which is also untrue. She didn't tell me that Morag was going to be my supervisor til the Thursday just gone. The official IBO deadline for the EE form is tomorrow. And I have to sort out another supervisor before 5:30 tomorrow. I'm not able to keep up with work, and it's all getting on top of me. I've done no CAS, and I have no ideas of how to get more.

I've been thinking about dropping it for ages and this has just made my mind up. I'm gonna be talking about it with my mum tonight.

My plan is as follows:

I'll drop out now, I still have a valid paid-for bus pass until summer, so I can get a weekday job in Colchester somewhere, so that I can pay my mum back the £450 that she would have wasted on said bus pass. I'll start doing A-Levels in September and go to University a year later than planned. I'm most worried about my mum and Stephen Baines (IB Coordinator) talking me out of it, but I'm determined.

My question is, has anyone done anything like this before? And what was it like? How did you go about it? Was it easy to get back into the college a year after your GCSE's when everyone else has just done theirs?

Thanking you kindly, and I realise that most of you won't know what IB, Extended Essay or CAS are. I apologise!

Franki
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A guy joined my form (all second years) and he was a first year; he dropped IB. Left college a few weeks later. Anyway! You'd be doing AS levels in September ;)
    A guy joined my form (all second years) and he was a first year; he dropped IB. Left college a few weeks later. Anyway! You'd be doing AS levels in September ;)
    I know that. :p

I know people that dropped IB from my year but that was like...October time. So it was different. Gawd...I doubt it's even gonna have the slightest chance now anyway, my mother won't listen to a word I say :(
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I know that. :p

I know people that dropped IB from my year but that was like...October time. So it was different. Gawd...I doubt it's even gonna have the slightest chance now anyway, my mother won't listen to a word I say :(

Why not try and stick it out for the rest of the year and if you are adamant that it isn't what you want, go for A Levels etc in September.
    Why not try and stick it out for the rest of the year and if you are adamant that it isn't what you want, go for A Levels etc in September.
    Maybe. But I already know I'm going to fail, and I hate my lessons apart from one. Well two. One is good, the other is met with indifference.

Plus, if I don't drop out now, it means that 1) I'd have to find someone to do the website after not having done it for hardly ever, 2) ditto magazine, 3) I wouldn't be able to earn enough money to pay my mum back for the bus pass.
    u 2nd year IB then?since ur talking about getting ur extended essay in.surely ul have to do AS before A2 so ul be 2 years behind.im a bit confused
    I left university 2/3 of the way through my second year, and began another course in the September. I've never looked back. I knew I wasn't happy and things weren't working for me. There are loads of people who've called me a quitter and said tha I took the easy route out, but for me, dropping out of a top university that I worked damn hard to get into and admitting to myself that things weren't working out took a lot of guts and I couldn't be happier academically.
    Droping out isnt the worse thing in the world. But I think you should stay and finnish the year, if you fail you have nothing to lose. Getting £450 wont be easy! it will be like most of the money from yoour w/e job and thats if you get on straight away. Why do you have to pay your mum back? youve used the bus pass for education for most of the year, surly the term is only aboout 6 weeks left.
    Just stick with it as your probably going through a rough stage. Education suxz so you got to do the shity bits so that you can do the fun bits, or have a chance to do the fun bits.
    Talking of dropping out, I dropped Maths at degree level and am now going Exploration Geology and its one of the best decissions ive ever made.

Bopz