Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Struggling with work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Guys, when you find yourself struggling with work, what do you do? I really don't know what to do, I mean, it's not that I'm stuck on a bit, it's just the whole area I don't have a great understanding in. Taking physics AS was a big mistake and I'm dropping it anyway... but I may as well get the coursework in. The problem is I don't know what to do :p I mean, I've done the experiment got the results, but it's all the stupid stuff, like the evalutation. My brief was "To design and build a simple sensor and use it to explore it’s characteristics." which I find a stupid brief. So I'm doing that, but this sheet I've got is telling me to do a plan. Then prediction, what am I supposed to predict, that when you slide a sliding potentiometer further along the resistance will decrease? :confused:

Ah, it's just the little stupid things in life :).

I got stuck on my IT earlier as well, stupid things, it's not because I don't know how to do it, I just don't know what to do, everyone else in my class has all copie the teacher but I just have this open ended brief which I'm just struggling with, and it could be intepereted a hundred different ways. Sigh. The problem is when they mark them they have a strict mark scheme.

At university they praise diversity and unique approaches, dont they? :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When im struggling i just stop for a couple of hours and take a break, like im doing now. Give your brain a rest, go eat something, go watch TV then when you feel refreshed go back to the work.

Could you not ask anyone in your class for a little help? With IT, if your stuck look around the internet, there are loads of IT help sites. What IT work is it?
    GoodFella wrote:
    When im struggling i just stop for a couple of hours and take a break, like im doing now. Give your brain a rest, go eat something, go watch TV then when you feel refreshed go back to the work.

Could you not ask anyone in your class for a little help? With IT, if your stuck look around the internet, there are loads of IT help sites. What IT work is it?

Ah nothing in particular, I have to produce a set of graphs based on student's results in different groups - but I don't know what graphs to produce. Do I just do a big ass bar chart with the average grade along the side and the group along the bottom (i think not) or do I create a line graph for each group monitoring the moving average (are they improving or getting worse). The problem is there is 100 ways to do it and I don't know the right way to do it :(

And after that I need to do the test log :|:| which is murder, apparently.

Problem with taking a break, is I'm on a short deadline. The IT needs to be done by next friday, and my physics (on promise) should be in on monday (thats three c/work pieces, but I don't care about physics). I could hand them in later and they'd still get marked up until the end of april when the examiners deadline is.

Tomorrow I'm going to a prearranged meet up with mates, but I can stay for only a little while to get some extra hours. Saturday I'm going london, I've got all day sunday... but it's not seeming to add up. I might take a break anyway, I haven't got a lot done today even though I've had all the day, but that's because I have no sense of direction, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing if you get me? None of the work is totally out of my grasp, if I knew exactly what to do I could do it straight away, I just.. it's too open ended and I'm worried I'll do the wrong thing :(
    This morning I was rejuvinated, so I did lots of graphs to cover all the angles:

I wonder if it's ok to do lots of graphs? Oh well, I've just about given up. The physics is too hard :p