Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Are U on New Deal

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i want to hear from people that are on the new deal, what they think of it
i was on new deal and did compleate the gateway programm but then found
a job which i have now left, i'm not sure if i want to go back to new deal
or just start my JSA again i'v just heard some bad stories on people on
new deal

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ok then what about your time on the new deal
    did your advisors treet you good give good advice
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    What?
    i just want to hear from people that have been on the New Deal prog like
    if it benifited them or not or were they made to do something that they did no want to do
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yes, but what is the New Deal program? Sorry 'bout that... link to any info in it?
    I've been on new deal. Months after i left school and took summer out. I went on JSA and after 6 months i think it was i was stuck on new deal. I hated going to the jobcentre and in all honesty i personally didnt find it *that* helpful, in truth the job i eventually got i got myself. Yet they took recognition for me getting it, sent me off for an award, met then livingston fc manager Jim Leishman lol ( who red a speeh whilst drunk :lol: ). The staff where i went werent exactly the most friendly but it was tolerable.

I have to add something to this. I was unemployed after last summer when iwas made redundant. I then moved to Edinburgh. I went on JSa and the staff in the jobcentre, well their attitudes and everyting about then stank. You felt like they hated you / had no time for you, they were quite rude. JSA is in my opinion shite.
    When I was on New Deal I didn't feel I benifited from it at all. The gateway to work course was crap, I got sent to this place with a bunch of unsavoury looking chaps where we learned to do interviews & write CVs, the kinda stuff you do in school. The end project was a group of you having to orginise a day out or something for the the rest of the class. I left a week into it and got a crudy job because I really couldn't put up with the things we had to do.

The people on my course wasn't bothered if they got a job or not, they were there because if they didn't go their dole money would be stoped.

New Deal is something that you do not have a choice in doing if you have been on JSA for 6 months, and you have to apply for jobs and go to interviews, not like when you just go to sign on you can just say "yeah looked this week but found nothing, ohh look theres a job I like the look of on your computer, oh I cannot do those hours".

Also, if you do not turn up for a meeting with a New Deal advisor you need one HELL of an excuse. At the time I was on it I wasn't able to get there as we had no bus service running at my metting times and so had to try and get lifts off my mum but that wasn't always gonna work. Lucky for me the woman who I used to meet with was quite nice an just to let me off.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Yes, but what is the New Deal program? Sorry 'bout that... link to any info in it?

www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk
    so in your opinions would you say it is better to be on New deal rather then JSA

i am a sitiuation where i know i can backdate my claim and return to the new deal or just go on jsa where lets face it all you have to do is sign on every two weeks. i have just read from different websites that they force you to
    take any work or risk loesing money

i confident i can find a job within two month but do i just start my jsa
    again with no pressure or the new deal who from what i have read are
    not as nice as i thot i mean they have got targets
    so in your opinions would you say it is better to be on New deal rather then JSA

No New Deal is crap but you cannot aviod it. The only way to do it is by coming off the dole then siging back on again in say 2 weeks.

If you actually want a job, and lets face it, any job is better than getting a shity 90 quid a fortnight then just take a job before you get on New Deal. New Deal will give you total shit job interviews to go to as well, stuff you don't even want to do because they get to the point where they will just tell you to go to an interview even if you do not want that job.
    yeh your right i am just going to start a fresh jsa, and go for things want to do

is it really that shit i mean i have always thought that new deal
    department had some contracts with local employers like argos and big supermarkets i suppose that is a lie i bet only the crap small
    shitty businesses signed up
    gladiator wrote:
    yeh your right i am just going to start a fresh jsa, and go for things want to do

is it really that shit i mean i have always thought that new deal
    department had some contracts with local employers like argos and big supermarkets i suppose that is a lie i bet only the crap small
    shitty businesses signed up

No actually i think big business' did sign upto it, i know tha teverywhere ive worked has had contact with the jobcentres when looking for staff.

I've always got myself the jobs ive had with patience and a positive attitude. The jobcentre serves a purpose but it could be doing much much better for people.

also i wasnt aware that you could just walk back onto new deal. Are you sure you can do that ? When i came off JSA 4 weeks ago i had just asked about New deal and stuff and the guy told me i would have to be unemployed for 6 months, i think with you your only option is making a new JSA claim and looking for work.
    well u get a 13 week time limit if you want to return then you can
    i know that littlewoods and reed have sign up to new deal
    they train in telesales
    and your right most companies do go to job centre for staff and advertise
    the new deal is a different scheam that not many have signed up for
    that is what my new deal advisor told me
    I thought you had to be on JSA 6 months before you could go on New Deal??

Not thought about taking a less attractive job part time or full and still look for work while you doing the crudy job? Gives you a few quid for the weekend then.

I would see if the Job Centre had any jobs with the people I wanted to work for... ok it might not be my ideal job they had but if it was a job at the same comapny you could get your foot in the door and then maybe work up to thing you wanted to do. You'd have a fairly good chance at getting work that you want to do if you belong to the company in the first place.
    i was on jsa for 6 month then went to the new deal did the gateway
    course where they treet u like your thick and left did a job in a office
    now that i left i have to sign back on and because my job lasted just under
    13 weeks by a day or two it means i can join the new deal again
    not that i want to because the only option i could take is employment one
    where you work for a company for 6 month (you can't refuse) for £60 a week
    did i mention that it is 35 hours a week and the employer get paid £60 a week
    as well to take you on i had a interview with the local dusbin men where
    i had to take it lucky for me i found a office job at the time
    new deal

I'm on my 13th Week of JSA and had my review today when I was told about this 'new deal' thing that is mandatory after 6 months.

I'd rather chew off my own arm than be forced to take courses in how to write a fuckin CV and application form. I'm not thick, I am quite capable. :grump:

I'd rather be unemployed with no money than be on New Deal.

Ilora x