Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Babies and mental hospitals

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Simple question. Would you take your 8 week old baby into a mental hospital to see someone you knew?

I persoanlly wouldn't want to take my kid any where near a mental home if I did have one.

Comments

• Options
    I would never take a child under 10 into any hospital at all. It amazes me the people that bring in young babies - some only days old and put them on the bed!!!! Aaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Hmm probably not. Not because the patients might scare the baby but because the baby might disturb the patients. But idk, maybe if it was the babies granparent/parent..
  • Options
    The 8 week old baby isn't going to remember when they're older. A one off visit because they couldn't find someone to care for the baby seems ok to me, especially if it's to visit a family member who is in the hospital and may not have met the baby before.
  • Options
    i wouldnt, its very unlikely the baby would come to any harm but its a risk id rather not take

my mum works in an adult mental health unit and they have 'incidents' every day from setting their hair on fire to scalding staff with boiling water, they are more of a harm to themselves than anyone else but its too risky.

best not to really
  • Options
    dunno to be honest.
    circumstances i suppose.
  • Options
    depends who the baby was, who the person we were visiting was, why they were in the hospital, and what the level of security was on the ward.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    depends who the baby was, who the person we were visiting was, why they were in the hospital, and what the level of security was on the ward.
    yeah ...we wouldn't be visiting the chianti guy ...
  • Options
    yeah ...we wouldn't be visiting the chianti guy ...

no, or some crazed knife-weilding psychopath.

but i would take my baby to visit someone on a low security eating disorder ward, for example, or someone who was depressed, if the patient was very close to me.
  • Options
    well it would depend on who it was. If it was a close family member then yes, I probably would. If I felt it was a dangerous place to be, then I probably wouldnt put myself in that situation let alone my baby, but just because someone has psychiatric problems, wouldnt mean that my baby would be at risk just from visiting them.
    If I didnt really want to see them, then I guess having a baby would be a good excuse not to.
  • Options
    I was visiting a friend suffering from severe depression and an eating disorder. It wasn't nice. Although I was just seeing her, I was also around all the other people and some of them were scary. I still wouldn't take my child in there because you cannot get away from the others.

i guess it would also depend on the hospital, then. the ones i've been to haven't been nice, by any stretch of the imagination, but i never felt unsafe.
  • Options
    This thread just underlines the ignorance about mental hospitals and their patients.

I would have no problem in taking a baby in.
  • Options
    Simple question. Would you take your 8 week old baby into a mental hospital to see someone you knew?

I persoanlly wouldn't want to take my kid any where near a mental home if I did have one.

I would take the baby
  • Options
    This thread just underlines the ignorance about mental hospitals and their patients.

even a high security one?
    A friend of mine is a RMN in a unit for severely psychologically disturbed teens. I wouldnt take a baby there (dont think id want to even go there myself)
    There is another `mental hospital` near here though which I would certainly take my baby too. No problem. Its quite nice in there.
  • Options

Please, enlighten us.