Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Confused about friend

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi i hav a m8 who is a self harmer..i thought she stopt but today wen we went shoppin tryd on a few things i saw her arms they are covered in horriable scars a few lumpy ones that stick out..
i aksed her what it was n she just made up an excuse about it been rash..
i knew she was lyn n she later told me that she feels she doesnt have to stop cuz her arms are neva gna be normal..
i found this freaky i told her to get help she just said she'd b happy if her scars went..
do ne of you kno how she can get rid of scars (without help of cosmetic surgery?)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    try dermablend.
    Firstly - don't type so small - it is hard to read.

Scars are permanent I am afraid - over time they will fade and become less noticeable. However, they shall always be there. I think cosmetic surgery is the only answer - dermabrasion, laser therapy etc. I don't know the reliability of commercial products that claim to remove scars - maybe someone has tried them and can give you a testimonial - don't however go to the testimonials on the website of a product - they pick only the best, obviously the "your product is shite" comments won't make it on.
    What worries me is not so much the scars being there, but more you saying that "she feels she doesn't have to stop as her arms are never going to be normal".

This is a Catch22 situation, she's not happy so she carries on, but then gets more scars reducing her chances of being happy with her arms.

I think that this is a lot more than just her being unhappy with her arms, and I'd recommend that you support her and perhaps try to get to the root of her problems and aim to resolve them rather than just trying to cover up the signs.

Sorry I can't suggest any more than that, I don't know of anything that does reduce the appearance of scars, but always beware of these "miracle" medicines on the internet.
    BTW is she getting professional help?
    Take a read of the following articles to help you understand a bit more about what your friend is going through:
    Self harm
    Supporting a self harmer
    Scars and treatments

Also, this thread about self harming is a really good way of finding out what makes people self harm and understanding more about it.

I hope your friend is OK - try to support her as much as you can - I'm sure she will appreciate it and hopefully open up to you in time.

i know what the problem is but i cant mention it here cuz its personal. she has been having help which is why im worried she seems depressed too.
    i recomended som creams to her..
    ive been doin some research on the net appearantly you can buy plaster things to put ova scars ne1 know where u can get em 4rm?
    I got a prescription for the silicone gel sheets from my GP. you can buy them in Boots etc too, but they are expensive.
    I have also heard that Bio-oil or wheat germ oil can work.