Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Advising a freind...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is a weird one...i've got a very good mate of mine who has always enjoyed a few cans, but for quite a while now some of his mates have been quite worried about his consumption rate. This is also considered in the context of the fact that he is quite a reckless person; is not adverse to such behaviour as driving after a few beers and sometimes driving like a right cunt.

Everyone knows someone like this, but i really think its starting to effect him now. He knocks back about 4-5 cans of export lager a night, thats when he's on his own. Sometimes has a beer before work (usually starts @ 8am) and if he's got gear on him he'll smoke regularly throughout the day, have a joint when he gets up for instance (also while driving to work).

Now i know this isnt uncommon, but neither is it good. He's been reckless since we were kids but now its getting a bit silly. I did a Sociology project about a year ago in which i got him to write a diary of his alcohol consumption. Over two night he drank first 9, then 11 cans on his own.

Now basically im just putting this out for other opinions, if you think i said something wrong or would have added something please make a suggestion.

He came to me saying that he really feels its effecting him, he wants to do something about it and other people really want him to. I said to him that if he wants to (he is the sort of person who doesnt go asking for help, very independant) then he maybe should consult with someone, and i recommended that his first port of call should be his GP. he doesnt trust his existing one so i recommended a local practice who deal well with this type of issue. He kept telling me all these different models he'd read about ('More than 2 pints a day = alky' type stuff). I told him that essentially this was irrelevant and was only a problem that could be solved if it was getting in the way of him getting on with things he wanted to do, or making him feel down, also said that it is only something he will do anything about if HE wants to, not anyone else.

Finally he asked me if i thought he had a problem. I said yes i do, i dont think you have a massive one at this point but you are on the edge of a very slippery slope (i pointed out that if 4-5 cans is a minimum average then that has plenty of room to increase...)

does anyone have anything they think they can add to this? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    i'm a bit or a reckless independent guy aswell...i don't think you should be enforcing the truth too much onto him...even though you are intentionally trying to help him he might find your advice patronising and drink more...i'm a firm believer that there's only one person who can help yourself and thats you but at the same time i'm always willing to listen to a mate's word, tell him yea he's alright now but it could get nasty, maybe get him to regulate it a bit more but don't be giving him lectures about it...
  • Options
    sometimes we need people to point out to us which worrying road we're going down cos if it's a dark one we can't actualy see that well.
    if it's left to long you may well get to the pont of shouting instead of pointing ...

look out ...
    precipice ahead ...oop s to late.
    done as a mate can't be wrong.
  • Options
    I dont think that you've done anything wrong, how he reacts is very difficult to judge, some people want help others dont.

If he is asking you whether you think he has a problem then he is considering it himself, which is a good sign, just give him the information you can, but definately dont go on and on about it.

Maybe do a little phoning about on his behalf and see whether there is a GP in your neck of the woods who is an expert and who would see him, then just give him the number and say, 'if you want to'.

Good luck mate.
  • Options
    but don't be giving him lectures about it...

i dont ever raise it unless he asks me... i take your point though...
    Maybe do a little phoning about on his behalf and see whether there is a GP in your neck of the woods who is an expert and who would see him, then just give him the number and say, 'if you want to'.