Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Killing people in the USA

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When someone is sentenced to death in the USA don't they try to make it as speedy and painless as possible?

Because I'm wondering how that compares to the women who is in hospital on the news and they're letting her die by stopping feeding her .. which could take weeks before it kills her.

http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20050326-070247-8241r.htm

Seems kinda ironic ?? .. What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    Very true. How you can be pro death penalty and anti euthanasia is beyond me.
  • Options
    To be fair I think some of the people who are pro-death penalty would want it to be as painful and long drawn out as possible.
  • Options
    Most people who receive the death penalty in the US can sit on death row for upwards of 20 years before actually having their sentence carried out.
  • Options
    When someone is sentenced to death in the USA don't they try to make it as speedy and painless as possible?

Because I'm wondering how that compares to the women who is in hospital on the news and they're letting her die by stopping feeding her .. which could take weeks before it kills her.

http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20050326-070247-8241r.htm

Seems kinda ironic ?? .. What do you think?
    Because only 'God' has the right to take life away :p
  • Options
    Most people who receive the death penalty in the US can sit on death row for upwards of 20 years before actually having their sentence carried out.

This woman's parents and husband have been fighting for 15 years now!!

But I meant the actual act itself in the death penalty is fairly quick, where as in the hospital case for example they could give her an overdoes of morphene or something so its quick and painless but the only method they allow is to starve someone to death which takes weeks ... just goes to show what a screwy world we all live in!!
  • Options
    This woman's parents and husband have been fighting for 15 years now!!

But I meant the actual act itself in the death penalty is fairly quick, where as in the hospital case for example they could give her an overdoes of morphene or something so its quick and painless but the only method they allow is to starve someone to death which takes weeks ... just goes to show what a screwy world we all live in!!

That just seems ridiculous, somethings are so unjust. :no:
  • Options
    If she were to ever recover, it would have been in the first year. She's not in a coma, shes brain dead. She doesnt even know shes starving.

My friends family pulled the plug on their mother because she was brain dead for 2 years. There's no point, honestly.

Tom Delay is a liar. He says that Terry wouldn't want to die. How the hell would he know? He's using the news to distract people from his growing ethics scandal(s). The Schiavo debacle is also being used by the right-to-life right-wing politicians. The fact that anyone even knows her name is proof of this. Her parents are caring and don't want to lose their daughter, but they've been hijacked by the anti-abortion groups to prove a point.

Personally, I hate seeing all the media coverage on this. Bugs the hell out of me. I think they should really just pull the plug and give her morphine, something to make her go peacefully. But at the same time, she doesnt know shes starving.
  • Options
    Wouldn't it be great if someone would pull out the tube on religion?
  • Options
    :yum:

You look strikingly like Emma Bunton.
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    You look strikingly like Emma Bunton.

Thank you, I think?

:shocking: :shocking: I look a little different. That picture was taken in October. I'm gonna post some better looking pictures in a couple days.
  • Options
    Thank you, I think?

:shocking: :shocking: I look a little different. That picture was taken in October. I'm gonna post some better looking pictures in a couple days.

Too right, she's hot!
  • Options
    She's not in a coma, shes brain dead. She doesnt even know shes starving.

I think they should really just pull the plug and give her morphine, something to make her go peacefully.

Well, actually she isn't "brain dead" and it's possible she was in a state of minimal consciousness. She is now on morphine.....still doesn't make it right though. I agree that there should be some quick painless and legal way to end the life of someone in her condition.
  • Options
    Mushy24 wrote:
    Well, actually she isn't "brain dead" and it's possible she was in a state of minimal consciousness. She is now on morphine.....still doesn't make it right though. I agree that there should be some quick painless and legal way to end the life of someone in her condition.

"Terri Schiavo, 39, who hasn’t been fully conscious for 13 years, is brain dead. Time declares she will die due to the removal of the feeding tubes or respirators. She will die! All of us are going to die. What is the big deal? Money!"

http://www.shipofzion.com/Braindeadfor13years.html
  • Options
    "Terri Schiavo, 39, who hasn’t been fully conscious for 13 years, is brain dead. Time declares she will die due to the removal of the feeding tubes or respirators. She will die! All of us are going to die. What is the big deal? Money!"

Whilst I agree it's probably time to cease her treatment and let her die in the easiest way for her possible I'm not sure you've chosen the most reliable or authoritative source available.
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    I'm not sure you've chosen the most reliable or authoritative source available.

It's one of the view articles that I've found I agree with, so I posted it. I dont agree with the rest of the "lets jump on the bandwagon" media and the coverage their giving this story. :no: but thats my opinion.
  • Options
    Bombshell, You don't even know the half of it when you refer to Delay as a liar. The man is the very epitome of opportunistic self indulgence and hypocrisy (not to mention lack of ethics that would make Nixon himself blush). When it comes to his crocodile tears for Schiavo (and his classic use of her as a political platform to the braindead Christian right) it's a case of pot-kettle-black...

What's good for the goose isn't good for the gander, eh Delay?
  • Options

All I can say is I'm sorry - not a very good article and about the "brain dead" thing - your wrong. It's called a Persistent vegetative state - here's an article I found to be informative:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terri_Schiavo