Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Russian

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm thinking of taking Russian lessons. Does anyone speak russian? Is it difficult to learn
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I can speak a few words. Its pretty easy sounding, as they don't do link words as such. Observe:
    The car is red.

In Russian apparently it becomes:
    Car red.

Im not 100% on this, I was looking into a course, but didn't do one as I can't locally. Apparently it is easier than alot of other languages. I done an online learning sample, hehe.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I did GCSE Russian a couple of years back.

Once you get your head round the alphabet being completely different, it's no easier or harder than learning any other language.

That said, as soon as I got to AS level, the grammar did my head in and I gave up. I don't take to the language thing enough to cope with page after page of grammar tables and alternate endings depending on the word class and all that. I imagine it's similar for most languages at that level though, and it depends what standard you want to learn it to.

Like I said though, the hardest bit to start with is getting used to the new alphabet, but once you've learnt it you don't forget it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    здравствулте! :thumb: good choice of language!
    the alphabet is pretty difficult at first... but you soon get used to it with a little practice. i found to learn russian, that the grammar is about as hard as german grammar to get your head around - which is pretty bad; but again, practice makes perfect. if you've learned any slavonic languages before... that will make it easier too. :)