Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

E Research Question, Related to Long Term Use.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The Dallas model (where in the early 1980's Ecstasy was supplied legally, in regulated doses and used in widespread terms) is 20-25 years old...

The one thing i want to know is, has a wide spread study been conducted (or of any kind) on those original users...You'd think it would be a good place to start for a longditudinal study of the long terms effects of MDMA?

has anyone heard of such research?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No but that would be interesting to see the results, who knows what the future holds for people now taking the drug, there's that much shite in them, at least when it started to happen in Dallas it was good and pure.
    I'll see what I can find, but I doubt there will be anything. If you used MDMA then would you want to come forward and let it be known? In the US?
    in confidential situations within a framework that will not bring prosecution, possibly?

but then there is the possible social stigma...
    Using MDMA in the past, can you be done for that in the US?

Research purposes
    no because it was not illegal at the time, it would never stand up in court as a criminal offence, even in the context of the British offence of 'Past Posetion'
    Well then get those Dallas ravers out and test their heads
    The research would be nigh on impossible to prove anyway because how do you know that they used, and how do you trust them to remember how much they used?
    The research would be nigh on impossible to prove anyway because how do you know that they used, and how do you trust them to remember how much they used?

yes but its not a million miles removed from the sampling method in the research you sent me is it? You do have to start somewhere and it still seems as good a place as any. With any study into an illegal or prohibited activity there is always going to be the issue of 'trust variation' in the respondant sample.

It would be by no means conclusive but could provide an impotus for guiding other research.
    But of course you are neglecting the key element of research in the US, in that its all licenced and at least a lot of it is funded by the government, they dont like research which might show MDMA in a good light. Especially given its the fastest growing drug there.
    no but i was talking in terms of research theory rather than practical applications...
    no but i was talking in terms of research theory rather than practical applications...

Spoken like a right social science student, 'I was discussing theory' yes of course you were, in between read Marx and drinking cheap beer.
    I actually do neither, like Comrade Karl 'I am no Marxist'...oh and i drink Codeine not beer :D
    I actually do neither, like Comrade Karl 'I am no Marxist'...oh and i drink Codeine not beer :D

Either way, enjoy your job prospects.
    oh crap and i thought this was PM as well....i dont drink codeine...honestly :D
    I dont think misuse of a non-prescription form of codine is against the law, not for personal use anyway.

Though of course I should point out its unwise and potentially dangerous.