Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Nail biting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
(I have also posted this in health, but then thought of it from the perspective of people who visit this forum may have more ideas, i.e. ones read in magazines, etc.)

hey!
i really need your help. i have bitten my nails for my whole life, and ive now finally decided to stop after 19 years. But its soooo hard! ive not bitten them for 5 days now, and i can see they've grown. it also makes my fingers look better, as there's no bits of skin peeling above my nails.
Has anybody got any tips to help me??? ive tried the stuff u paint on your nails, but i cant actually taste it. im actually painting them at the moment, as i find i dont want to bite them as much when they're painted because:
a) it ruins the nail varnish
b) it tastes gross
Please help me!!
Anyone done this and been sucessful?? share your stories, it may give me more determination!
Thanx
SBG

Comments

• Options
    well, i've never done that, but i read somewhere that you can always paint them so they can be beautiful, and then you'll be sorry to ruin them :p

i don't know if that really works, but it's not hard to try, right?

and good luck :)
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    There is a fact sheet on theSite about Nail Care that may be some help, and the BBC website also has some suggestions.
  • Options
    You might want to think about how unhygenic biting your nails is, isnt it comparable with licking a toilet seat?
  • Options
    You can also get Worms from biting your nails...

Ilora x
  • Options
    You can also get Worms from biting your nails...

Ilora x

That would keep you nice and trim.
  • Options
    I was in a failry similar position, although a lot of the reason I bit mine was due to playing the piano and it really annoying me hearing nails on the keys when I played, so i'd just bite em to get rid of the noise.

At 18 I stopped playing as much and wanted my nails to look nice. Wearing nail varnish always helps and generally I find until one breaks then it isn't too bad, bu as soon as 1 breaks I want the all the same length there and then and if i aint around a file or clippers I do still bite em. Any other time now tends to be if I've very bored. Just takes willpower though adn you'll stop.
  • Options
    (I have also posted this in health, but then thought of it from the perspective of people who visit this forum may have more ideas, i.e. ones read in magazines, etc.)

hey!
    i really need your help. i have bitten my nails for my whole life, and ive now finally decided to stop after 19 years. But its soooo hard! ive not bitten them for 5 days now, and i can see they've grown. it also makes my fingers look better, as there's no bits of skin peeling above my nails.
    Has anybody got any tips to help me??? ive tried the stuff u paint on your nails, but i cant actually taste it. im actually painting them at the moment, as i find i dont want to bite them as much when they're painted because:
    a) it ruins the nail varnish
    b) it tastes gross
    Please help me!!
    Anyone done this and been sucessful?? share your stories, it may give me more determination!
    Thanx
    SBG

You sound exactly EXACTLY like me! Im 20 and i bit my nails all my life and i stopped on new years day. They keep breaking every now and again but they look much better now!
  • Options
    I bought myself a pair of scissors and started cutting them. I have no real idea why, but that seemed to work for me. I haven't bitten my nails for ages :angel:
  • Options
    well thanx for all your answers. i definately wont be biting them after the toilet and worms comments :yuck:
    SBG
  • Options
    I find the products from www.mavala.com really work. I'm using the ridge filler and stop stuff(this tastes evil, believe me you will realise you have this on) at the mo and haven't touched them for a week. I find that due to the bad health they're in from years of biting that they're really soft so the ridge filler helps give them an even feeling and hardens them up a bit.
  • Options
    Help!

Im 16 and bit my nails so badly!!! always have, i have really tiny nails - not sure if its because of this or a coincidence, thing is i bite mine when im bored and i dont even realise im doing it!!! which makes it v v v v v hard to stop something when you dont know your doing it! :chin:

Any ideas??

xxxxxxx
  • Options
    Im 16 and bit my nails so badly!!! always have, i have really tiny nails - not sure if its because of this or a coincidence, thing is i bite mine when im bored and i dont even realise im doing it!!! which makes it v v v v v hard to stop something when you dont know your doing it! :chin:

Any ideas??

xxxxxxx
    I had two girlfriends in a row telling me it was unattractive and that I should stop
    Actually stopping for me was just a case of cutting them instead of biting.
    Advice... erm.... buy yourself a nail-file and whenever you feel your fingers in your mouth (or you're about to bite them), try filing them instead :)
  • Options

Any ideas??

xxxxxxx

Get some of the "stop" stuff from mavala and you really wont want to put them in your mouth, tastes foul ;)