Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

having 2 jobs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I got myself a new job, started last monday ( go me :D ). Today i found out another place offered me a part time job which i went to and had an interview with their and then and i said i'd take it, without actually thinking of the consiquences. Trouble is now, apparently i'll get taxed for both jobs ( one job is 20 hours a week the 2nd job will be 12 hours a week ) now im a bit worried because i have no clue how this goes from here, does anyone know will i get taxed for both jobs ( which i assume i would ) and like.. yeah can someone explain plz ? thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You get taxed a very high rate on the second job. Very unfair.
    You don't actually have to do anything you know - the tax office tells your work what tax code to apply to you and they deduct that before you get the rest of your wage. You don't need to panic.

heh i was starting to worry. My mate got me worried. Dont know why i listened to him in fact!

I'm wondering if its going to be worth my while working this second job then :chin:
    she is right - your tax free allocation gets assigend to your first job - so althought it seems that your paying a higher rate of tax on your second job - when you average it out your not - for the main one you'll probably end up paying hardly any tax at all.

xx
    It just confuses me totally :s ... Like i cant find a simple explanation of how it works and i need simple, the basic of basic my head cant get round these things :blush:
    Tax free allowance per tax year (April to April) is around £4500. If you work part time, you probably won't make over that amount, so won't have to pay tax. Anything earned over that amount is taxed.

Second jobs are taxed at a higher rate. I used to work two jobs and it really wasn't worth it for me.
    Your second job will be taxed at 22%, as we automatically consider all your allowances to be used up at your first employment.

You need to ring the tax office with an estimate of both your annual salaries from both employments and they will split your tax code in two if possible. It all depends on your annual income. If your income is more than approx 6k at your main employment there is no point in splitting your code.

Please bear in mind that as it is close to the end of the tax year, no 04/05 tax codes can be issued at the moment there is only one monthly pay day left in this tax year. They will only be able to update your code for the 2005/2006 tax year.

Hope that clears it up for you.
    Your second job will be taxed at 22%, as we automatically consider all your allowances to be used up at your first employment.

You need to ring the tax office with an estimate of both your annual salaries from both employments and they will split your tax code in two if possible. It all depends on your annual income. If your income is more than approx 6k at your main employment there is no point in splitting your code.

Please bear in mind that as it is close to the end of the tax year, no 04/05 tax codes can be issued at the moment there is only one monthly pay day left in this tax year. They will only be able to update your code for the 2005/2006 tax year.

Hope that clears it up for you.

My good old dad worked it out i just havent seen it yet. tbh that sound like too much hassle and on top of the fact im unsure if i should take it now, i think i wont bother.
    I had 2 jobs, and only got taxed on the 2nd. But thats prob because i wasnt even earning enough to get taxed and claimed it all back lol
    so not much help sorry!