Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Change of plans

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, I was rejected from where I wanted to study the most, and have now decided that I'd rather take a year out, work, and then reapply. As my mom said it would only give me a plus when there are a zillion applicants to each space.

Now, my plan is to work in London. And yes, I am well aware that London is full of foreigners doing underpaid jobs, and that essentially I'll be the next in the line... But yes, London is what I want.
I don't really know what I could do. I think that some sort of office/shop job would suit me the most. Preferably office as it could count as some sort of qualifications.
I am pretty good with numbers, and systematics. So call centres and the likes is also possible. Know 3 languages more or less fluently + some basic German. Where could one use those skills? And yes, despite of my behavior here, I am pretty good with interacting with people.
I am not up for manual labour as hotel cleaning or au-pairing, it's not what I want to do in any way whatsoever. Too repetitive.

Anyone has any suggestions? Anyplace to start my search?

Or would thesite people hire me to do interviews in the street? :wave: :yes: :p
Or even just to make coffee and copy articles and pick up the phone for you mod gods...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    So, I was rejected from where I wanted to study the most, and have now decided that I'd rather take a year out, work, and then reapply. As my mom said it would only give me a plus when there are a zillion applicants to each space.

Now, my plan is to work in London. And yes, I am well aware that London is full of foreigners doing underpaid jobs, and that essentially I'll be the next in the line... But yes, London is what I want.
    I don't really know what I could do. I think that some sort of office/shop job would suit me the most. Preferably office as it could count as some sort of qualifications.
    I am pretty good with numbers, and systematics. So call centres and the likes is also possible. Know 3 languages more or less fluently + some basic German. Where could one use those skills? And yes, despite of my behavior here, I am pretty good with interacting with people.
    I am not up for manual labour as hotel cleaning or au-pairing, it's not what I want to do in any way whatsoever. Too repetitive.

Anyone has any suggestions? Anyplace to start my search?

Or would thesite people hire me to do interviews in the street? :wave: :yes: :p
    Or even just to make coffee and copy articles and pick up the phone for you mod gods...

I know a friend of mine was turned down by Cambridge which shocked everyone who knew him, the guy had like 7 A-Levels all A's and Stars this and That, inthe end he went to Imperial who was more then happy to have him.
    I know a friend of mine was turned down by Cambridge which shocked everyone who knew him, the guy had like 7 A-Levels all A's and Stars this and That, inthe end he went to Imperial who was more then happy to have him.

I was pretty set on one university, and my whole application process in the UK was aimed towards that place. I have gotten an offer from a uni which is supposedly better for the specific course, and while it all sounds great, I'd just really like to be in London rather than a smaller town.
    See PM :wave:
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    I was pretty set on one university, and my whole application process in the UK was aimed towards that place. I have gotten an offer from a uni which is supposedly better for the specific course, and while it all sounds great, I'd just really like to be in London rather than a smaller town.

what uni made you the other offer?

I'd seriously consider it rather then the year off thing
    A year off with the intention of re-applying has serious repercussions, and whilst it can show desire to get onto one place, it still won't guarantee you a place. And if you fail again you're fucked.

I woukld seriously suggest going to your second choice, and not taking a year out. Contrary to popular belief, there actually is a country with a social life beyond London which, quite frankly, is a toilet anyway.
    look into being a translator, or working in a call centre where they deal with european customers. they pay pretty well, and if you are fluent (ish), should be quite easy to walk into.
    Kermit wrote:
    A year off with the intention of re-applying has serious repercussions, and whilst it can show desire to get onto one place, it still won't guarantee you a place. And if you fail again you're fucked.

I woukld seriously suggest going to your second choice, and not taking a year out. Contrary to popular belief, there actually is a country with a social life beyond London which, quite frankly, is a toilet anyway.

Well, I guess I will accept my offer at Sheffield while keeping my eyes open. If I find something good then I can just not go.
    I do realise that the course at Sheffield, and the university are superb. It's the location. Then again. It's near Manchester.
    I keep changing my mind :(

Though if JimV offered me a position as his personal coffee-slave then I'd jump at the chance immedeatley :p
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    I do realise that the course at Sheffield, and the university are superb. It's the location. Then again. It's near Manchester.

it's nearer leeds. and leeds pisses all over manchester :p
    i know a few people at sheffield who love it.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    kaffrin wrote:
    it's nearer leeds. and leeds pisses all over manchester :p
    You know the score.

My mates love Sheffield uni. And Sheffield as a place is nice.

BUT - Manchester shits on EVERYWHERE. :D
    Kermit wrote:
    Contrary to popular belief, there actually is a country with a social life beyond London which, quite frankly, is a toilet anyway.

Blah. London is brilliant, Northeners are jealous. :p
    Join some agencies. You can get fairly good pay temping in London. Translation work pays well too.

You could look around for 1 year internships too, try the British Council or some EU type stuff.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster

Me :D

I live in Sheffield and really like it here. Didn't go to Sheffield Uni though but I really like the city.

EDITED TO ADD: I think you may as well accept the place at uni anyway, even though you are thinking you won't take it. It means that you have more options as you may change your mind after rejecting them. You can always reject them later on, tell them you have changed your mind. This way it means you are not cutting off all your options.
    Kermit wrote:

I woukld seriously suggest going to your second choice, and not taking a year out.
    I disagree entirely.

JtR, go to London, get yourself a job to pay the bills and enjoy your year out.
    I am a southerner, and i'm at uni up north- Leeds to be precise, but i know people going to several unis up here, and they too think it's awesome. tbh, while london is great, times are it';s jus tooo big and too unfriendly.
    I am a southerner, and i'm at uni up north- Leeds to be precise, but i know people going to several unis up here, and they too think it's awesome. tbh, while london is great, times are it';s jus tooo big and too unfriendly.
    Yep. I've done all my training oop north, now I'm in Newcastle and there's a lot to be said for studying in a smaller city with friendlier people. The South East generally has a totally different attitude to life and living in my experience. People's priorities are different somehow.
    Sheffield is a pretty big place with a great nightlife. Its also pretty central so most other major cities are easy to get to.