Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Last BOOK you read!

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I am rediscovering all my Bill Bryson books at the moment... he really makes me laugh! And Stephen King is my favourite fiction author. Have many of his books. The Green Mile is fantastic, as are The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Insomnia and Carrie. Would highly recommend his book Different Seasons which has four different stories which are all great, and also one of his short stories when he wrote as Richard Bachman, The Long Walk.
    Blades Business Crew by Steve Cowens, its about Sheffield United's football hooligan firm. Good read.
    Erm, last entire book I read was "Frankenstein" by Shelley. Only read it cos its for my AS English though. I always imagined it to be really good and scary etc. as there was always so much hype for it. But I didn't find it that good to be honest..
    harry potter and the order of the phoenix :thumb:
    Strangers by Taichi Yamada - mainly because of the recommendation on the front by David Mitchell, whose book Cloud Atlas was amazing. Strangers, while fairly nicely written, was predictable and boring though. Read In and Out of the Goldfish bowl before that, a great first novel by a young welsh writer called Rachel Trezise. Have a pile of books waiting for me to read them now:
    An Empty Room - Talitha Stevenson
    Breaking Open the Head - Daniel Pinchbeck
    Norwegian Wood - Murakami
    The Fortress of Solitude - Jonathan Lethem
    Bliss - Peter Carey
    Smashed - Koren Zailckas
    Happiness - Richard Layard
    and more... Should keep me going for a little while.
    Last books I've read:

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
    Behind the Scenes at the Museum (excellent)
    My Year of Meat by Ruth L. Ozeki (a fantastic fictional story with a strong animal welfare theme)
    The Cider House Rules by John Irving (excellent)

You must be the first person who's had a good thing to sayu about Belle du Jour, though; just about everyone else I know has said it was unutterable garbage.
    Sheepshagger by Nial Griffiths

Amazing.

Anyone read it or Gritts or any books by Nial?
    Star Wars: Dark Rendezvous. Yoda is a bad assed wee frog.
    I think the last two were Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett (going through a Discworld phase at the moment) and one whose title I've forgotten... blue cover showing a lake, about a girl called Grace who gets murdered in the lake and a girl who's reading her letters who's called Mattie Gokey... anyone?

Edit: A Gathering Light by Jennifer Donnelly. I really enjoyed it.
    i can't actually remember... but the last book that i read that i actually think "WOW THAT WAS A GOOD BOOK" was The Beach by Alex Garland.
    The Godfather. A real classic.
    umm.. rani and sukh!! dont know who its by but it was good :) about feuding families and lovers caught in the middle of it etc etc :)
    currently reading gone with the wind! really good
    City of Bones by Michael Connelly (in two days :cool: )

Before that I finally finished Bag of Bones by Stephen King
    Niccolo Machiavelli - The Prince.

...well it is a book.
    Currently half way through The Last Juror by John Grisham.
    last book I read....

Just fininshed Barry Humphries' My Life As Me (I love Edna Everage and the man is a great writer), and before that was DBC Pierres' Vernon God Little. What an extraordinary book....Just started The Rule Of Four, and am finding it a little hard to have any sympathy for the main guys. Anyone else found this?