Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Auto Close of old threads?

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Why not?
    I would suggest you start your own website and invite those people who will conform to the world of "Fiend 85", your lack of tolerance is shocking!
    How am I intolerant?
    How are you not? You want to ban newbies for making a mistake...??!
    :rolleyes: Idiot. Where did I say that?
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    :rolleyes: Idiot. Where did I say that?
    KMA!
    You are a complete waste of space. End.

Example 1 is of newbie forums.

Example 2 is of temporary banning and of reputation status for users.

As JimV has said with regards to Example 1, this is a very different forum. And, apparently, it's too much of a strain for temporary banning as a punishment instead of some arbitrary system of warnings. Which is why I've asked how many warnings = ban, and why it doesn't work that way.

Again, you are a complete idiot.
  • Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    I know where your coming from but tbh the weebl and bob forums are slightly different to this one.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Edited out -once again, I'm an idiot.
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    I know where your coming from but tbh the weebl and bob forums are slightly different to this one.
    Yuh, realise that now. Still wondering why there isn't some kind of number of warnings before a ban thing though.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Yuh, realise that now. Still wondering why there isn't some kind of number of warnings before a ban thing though.

I suppose it would depend on the offences to be honest.
    Well surely doing anything that merited a warning would be the same as anything else?
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Well surely doing anything that merited a warning would be the same as anything else?
    I don't know why you're worrying about bans - the mods are pretty on the ball wrt warnings and bans for breaking house rules. And whilst newbies can be annoying with their text talk and been-asked-a-thousand-times-before questions, that's just the nature of the beast. As Jimbo reminds us, this is a charity website and there's no doubt that it attracts youngsters with problems that they would like to share and for friendly advice. As my mum always says - if you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say anything. Except in P&D of course. ;)

The young 'pirate' makes a valid point too:
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    Automatic closing of old threads would probably encourage newbies to post more, if they posted in more recent threads then its more likely that they wouldnt be flamed, and as a result they would be encouraged to post more.
    Im full of good ideas me.
    everyone on these message boards is full of something, some just nicer things than others
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    Im full of good ideas me.

Pirate bastard. It was my idea in the first place ;(
    Jazza wrote:
    Pirate bastard. It was my idea in the first place ;(
    Pirate can mean "one who makes use of or reproduces the work of another without authorization". :p
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Pirate can mean "one who makes use of or reproduces the work of another without authorization". :p
    Heh thanks SG.
    Nice to see you liked it.
    :yeees: Thanks for pointing that out.
    Me two pence :

Banning after a set number of warnings would work in a way, but if you look at some of the users who are reformed from their annoying ways that used to get people riled up and wanting them fully chucked off, then a number of the more established users would not have got underway, settled down with their wicked ways and become more useful to the whole site system.

Like the idea of cutting down old threads, at the same time the people who bring up incredibly old threads did a search to find them, and so would this mean like, just closing the thread so they couldn't be replied to or deleting them fully,which would cut down the search engines...searching capability...thing?

Malt xx :D
    We're talking about closing threads, not deleting them. There is still a lot of important advice and information in many an old thread.

And most established users would be banned for flaming, if nothing else, with a set number of warnings.
    what about including a warning system like on some invisionboards, im sure you can get a script for it, you get a % bar and depending on how bad it is you can warn them a certain amount and take it off if they behave.. and if thye build it up ban them tempory or permently or summit
    No one gets paid to moderate man, we all do it in addition to full time jobs, or just as external volunteers. There is no way we can moderate to such a picky level
    kk just suggesting
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I'll chip in if you want free help. :p
    JsT wrote:
    I'll chip in if you want free help. :p
    me too... oooh the fun I could have :p
    Patience my people - it takes a while to get the hang of things.

That said Newbies PLEASE take a look at the date a thread was started- old threads are only for reference.

Thanks

He just closed another thread brought up by a newbie. Are you still thinking about auto-close?
    there might be a way to give someone mod powers that only entail thread closing powers, which to be honest could be useful