Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Gallery

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Tbh:

jeremymallardoriginal.jpg

Shame ye cannae see the eyes though...they're amazing.
    painting.gif
    I mainly like city and lanscapes at dawn/dusk.

Jack Vettriano - Only The Deepest Red

10.jpg
    As I am at Salford Uni....

GoingToTheMatch.jpg
    Lowry, love it.

"...and he painted matchstick men and matchstick cats and dogs..."
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    I really like Hockney. Not quite sure why. Think it's the coloring, and the "sterile" feel due to the geometry used. Also really like his polaroid projects. And Grand Canyon pictures.
    hockney.splash.jpg

Then there's Magritte. And I absolutely love how thoughtprovoking he can be. It's more the thought he procokes than the visual pleasure which I treassure about him.

The%20Empire%20of%20Light.jpg

Then there's this Danish artist who has made the artwork for this House-duo called Filur (good music actually) and I really love his pop-art. Such as the picture below. Unfortunately I have completely forgotten his name. ARGH
    filurdeeply.jpg

I like the Hockney Splash, it would look good in my new room which is kinda contemporary. Is there a print I can buy do you know?
    I'm also a fan of M G Hanson. He has the same style of music productionI'm also into and the same type of art.

http://www.calpomatt.lavista.org/
    I like the Hockney Splash, it would look good in my new room which is kinda contemporary. Is there a print I can buy do you know?

Find out which Museum is displaying his pictures. I'd imagine their posters are off a better quality than the ones found on the net.
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Find out which Museum is displaying his pictures. I'd imagine their posters are off a better quality than the ones found on the net.

Yep.

Try the Hockney gallery in Bradford.

I love Lowry; mind, I should, working in Sunderland. His Sunderland seascapes are brilliant, there's a great Lowry gallery in Sunderland Museum.
    I like Roy Leitchenstien (sp?) i did a really good interpretation of one of his paintings last year... never got it back from school though >:(
    Fight The Power

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2004/06/02/tiananmentanks03,0.jpg

This photo is the news image which means the most to me. It brought home for the first time, just how far authority will go to maintain control.

'1989 was also the year of the student massacre in Tiananmen Square in Beijing. Three thousand students were demonstrating against martial law. The authorities sent tanks and armed troops into Tiananmen Square and opened fire on the students. Hundreds were killed, thousands injured'

Five months later the Berlin Wall came down.
    Hockney...quite remarkable artist...he sold paintings of Californian swimming pools to extremely wealthy Californians with...swimming pools.

Nice work if you can get it !!
    I love autumnal cannibalism by Dali. Infact I love a lot of Dali. Although I went to the Van Gogh museum recently and it was fab.
    I find Chagall really interesting. This is my favourite.

FC1158.jpg
    I have a print of this in my front room, I LOVE the colours.
    chateau2.jpg

I like this.

matisse_redroom.jpg

And this.
    What the hell, it's been over a year - let's try this again

Just been poking around some Van Gogh again, and I'm always struck by the self-portraits

Vincent_Van_Gogh_Self_Portrait.jpg
    Meh let's resurrect it.

I'm a massive fan of, among other things, American realism. Kinda thing you imagine when you read Nabukov or F Scott Fitzgerald. My favourite artist by a mile is Edward Hopper. Here are some of my faves.

Nighthawks - words cannot describe what this painting means to me. I could write pages about my layman interpretation to it. Suffice to say, the fact that there is no door is the most significant in my opinion.

Early Sunday Morning - the uneasy calm is what strikes me about this piece. Something's about to happen and you don't know what.

Solitude

Also, in the American realism section, quite a famous painting that still scares the shit out of me.

American Gothic by Grant Wood. Utterly terrifying. It's the woman's face and the man's stare.
    \
    Whats that picture, set in a 1940's or 1950's dinner on a corner of a street, looking in through the window of a man in a suit and hat, a woman in a dress and the dinner waiter behind the counter at night.

I love the picture but never found out who did it originally.
    Rather oddly it's the first of the pictures in Thunderstrucks post just above - Nighthawks by Edward Hopper - the movie wasn't as good though ;)
    I'm not an art buff in any shape or form but the only painting I can think of that you just described is my favourite Nighthawks. As I said, I can babble on for hours about the beauty and more-than-real-reality of it. It's stunning in its bleakness.

Couldn't find a decent picture of Solitude so posted that ickle one. It's a lot better in my Hopper book.

Also a big fan of Goya. Whenever I'm in Spain I make a little trip to the Prado to see his stuff. Some examples;

Saturno (Saturn)

Snowstorm - one of the finest uses of colour I have ever seen.

Asmodea - wow.
    This is called Dream 2000 by Thomas Brill

http://brill-art.de/galerie/2000/b01traum.jpg

I normally liked bright, colourful pictures but this is one of my favourite pictures.

Singing Fish by Joan Miro http://www.poster.net/miro-joan/miro-joan-singing-fish-2104880.jpg

Petite Fleurs by Pablo Picasso http://www.artexpression.com/images/ESC/jpgs/P121.jpg
    Jim V wrote:
    Rather oddly it's the first of the pictures in Thunderstrucks post just above - Nighthawks by Edward Hopper - the movie wasn't as good though ;)

Serve me right for not checking out all the links! lol:thumb:
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Not really into paintings to be honest, photography is more my thing. In my humble opinion film shows things a lot better than canvas.
    I'm more into photos as well. Probably because I'm into making films, so i can steal their ideas. Anyway, I spent a night a while back looking for load of new wallpapers because I bought a widescreen monitor which rendered my old one's obsolete. Here's some of my faves (just to warn you they're quite big).

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.