Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Gallery

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Entertainment boards, always filled with favourite films, music, etc.

Which is great but you can never really get a sense of a favourite film from a two line discription, so...

Favourite paintings, posters, pictures, photogrpahs... with a handy link at least everyone can see exactly what your talking about

So here's one of my favorite painting (at least now I can look at it everytime I check the Entertainment board!)

Cafe Terrace
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My fave, or at least one of them. I love Monet too, but I thought I would post something more unusual.
    post impressionism was one of my favourite art eras.... and i also studied it for my art higher...

so one of my all time favourite paintings is this one... (forgot the name!!) by henri rousseau... lovely feeling of movement...

my art and photography ;) :rolleyes:
    I like surrealist and political art, though I'm no big expert on it.

Giger
    Originally posted by Creeper
    I like surrealist and political art, though I'm no big expert on it.

Giger

Wow .. that's ... can't even think of the words to describe it...
    thats a brilliant artist....
    I like art nouveau a lot, the kind of flat, poster type of stuff, like Mucha or Klimt.
    I also like this - yes it`s a bit cliched now maybe, but it fits my mood a lot of the time!
    It doesn't matter! Monet is my favourite artist and I almost cried with glee when I got to see his work first hand recently.
    William Degouves de Nuncques I can't get over his use of colour.

Victor Hugo's "Ecce" Ok, so this version isn't so clear, but I love his use of light and the posture of the hanged man.

Calligraphy by Hassan Massoudy the first one

Anything by Enki Bilal Ok, so he's a comic book artist, but the montage of thumbnails by him show how amazingly well he can express emotion.
    i love giger's work, its so dark and forboding. it has a real eerie atmosphere to it. i especially like the pieces he did for the alien films. the preliminary set design sketches are absolutely mind-blowing. unfortuneatly i can't find the site that they're on:confused:
    Best I could find quickly, some links to all of Giger's film designs (Batman Forever! - the shame)

giger film design
    I came across this bloke by accident some time ago, I quite like a lot of his stuff, especially Angel In Blue.

Jeffrey K. Bedrick
    Originally posted by Miffy
    I came across this bloke by accident some time ago, I quite like a lot of his stuff, especially Angel In Blue.

Jeffrey K. Bedrick

I must admit that's a lovely one.

I always have liked Night Watch by Rembrandt ever since i studied it at school, went to see the original last year and it's hard to just walk off.
    night watch

Not really an art admirer to tell the truth, failed art miserably and have never understood it :)
    Well I'm gonna post some lovely scenery my friend sent me :)
    Bugger, my best one won't fit :( someone help...
    I was never really into the impressionist artists, and im not too keen on all of Degas work.. but i adore this painting, and his other ballet paintings, its what he is most famous for. I can see why.
    sk23.gif

Sod it, I'm saving this from the auto close cull that might happen soon
    Seeing as it was a mod who resurrected this thread, I'll add in The Fighting Temeraire by Turner.

300px-Turner,_The_fighting_Temeraire.jpg

*and that should work now
    oooh a cultured thread...
    all-be-it that this is an old thread... Having browsed all the links .. It's nice to see a thread like this in my opinion.

I've never appreciated paintings before but now i love photography it makes me look at things differently. I love things like the sky at night or during dusk. Lights at nighttime that kind of thing. Cant be bothered to any links atm i just wanted to add that :)
    Jim V wrote:
    *and that should work now
    Did I do it wrong? :blush:

*not au fait with the interweb*
    the link you copied was probably through google? it was really long so your browser abbreviated the middle bit to '...' which meant it came up broken
    Yeah, my old friend Google. Thanks for fixing it. :)
    oooh a cultured thread...

One of my favorites
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I love The Scream which someone posted earlier on in the thread. I also like Mondrian. Particularly Broadway. Apparently, it is a map of the Broadway area but in his own unique styley.
    I really like Hockney. Not quite sure why. Think it's the coloring, and the "sterile" feel due to the geometry used. Also really like his polaroid projects. And Grand Canyon pictures.
    hockney.splash.jpg

Then there's Magritte. And I absolutely love how thoughtprovoking he can be. It's more the thought he procokes than the visual pleasure which I treassure about him.

The%20Empire%20of%20Light.jpg

Then there's this Danish artist who has made the artwork for this House-duo called Filur (good music actually) and I really love his pop-art. Such as the picture below. Unfortunately I have completely forgotten his name. ARGH
    filurdeeply.jpg
    I present the coolest picture of anyone, ever.

Hunter S Thompson.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0330261177.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    I really like Hockney.

He's not bad for a Bratfud lad.

I have a fondness for Guernica, the Metamorphosis of Narcissus and a lot of Kandinsky's work, notably this.