Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Rock climbing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
hi i was just wondering if anyone shared my passion of rock climbing, and where in the uk u have climbed?
i have climbed at bedlinog (the national wesh centre), gilwern, hilson park, porth clise and wolfs castle (both in st davids, west wales)!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I've been wanting to start for ages - have found an indoor place where you can learn the basics and that but would love to go more outdoorsy. When I went to Thailand I went to a place called Krabi where rockclimbing is really popular and it looked amazing (it's the place where that James Bond movie was filmed).

lookie here

Out of interest - how fit do you need to be?
  • Options
    One of my friends is addicted to rock climbing and loves for it!! I'm not sure where he has climbed but I know he always talks about Snowdonia. He goes to a wall somewhere in Birmingham as it is near uni (Aston). However, at the moment he is lying at home recovering from an operation on his ankle where he broke it falling off the wall. He was trying to do a bit of wall that he had never done before and he managed to do it. However, in his excitement and with his friend cheering because he had managed it, he fell off! Quite funny looking back! It hasn't deterred him from climbing though and as soon as his ankle is good again he'll be straight back up there!
    Just take care!
  • Options
    He goes to a wall somewhere in Birmingham as it is near uni (Aston).

If you're talking about The Rockface, it has closed down! But i think there's a new wall opening soon in the Custard Factory...
  • Options
    Kate1 wrote:
    If you're talking about The Rockface, it has closed down! But i think there's a new wall opening soon in the Custard Factory...

Yep, I think he goes out to the custard factory so maybe it is already open! :confused:
  • Options
    spanner wrote:
    Out of interest - how fit do you need to be?

You don't need to be the fittest in the world, upper body strength is important, but if your technique is good, you push off your legs anyway. Obviously if you are bloatmonger central, something needs doing, but climbing isn't a major aerobic excercise, it requires strength and power more than stamina.
  • Options
    haven't done it in quite a while :( but :heart: it all the same.
  • Options
    same here, havent been for a while, usally climb in bedlinog and a couple of local outdoor spots, should start back regulary once i pass my driving test.
  • Options
    Dynamis wrote:
    same here, havent been for a while, usally climb in bedlinog .

what do you recon of it??
    i much prefer to climb outdoors!!

you dont have to be very fit to climb, it isnt that hard. i have even learnt to climb and belay 1 handed, since i messed my arm up & my m8 who is in a wheelchair climbs too, so everyone can do it!
  • Options
    I do indoor climbing, only started recently, my mate goes every week so I go when my shifts don't land on a Wednesday, it's amazing !!

Get awesome adrenaline climbing, always a bit of a baller when I look down too early ! haha.

Excellent way for me to work out as well!

I would like to progress to outdoors in the future.

Does anyone have a go on the free climbing part indoors called bouldering? That's brilliant
  • Options
    Of all the sports i've tried so far climbing is the one i enjoy the most by quite a long way. If only because, if i'm honest, i just don't like the competitive nature of most sports and for me climbing is just about bettering myself at my own expense i suppose. The only person i'm competing against, if i am at all, is myself. At the moment i'm doing a lot of indoor stuff but hope to progress to outdoors soon. It's something i just enjoy doing AND i happen to get fit at the same time, it's just a bonus for me that i do.

I agree with everything CheeseOnToast said basically. Bouldering is great aswell, if only because it's just a whole lot of fun, i can sit around and try the same single move over and over again (until i do it, hopefully) all the while talking with my friends. Or we've been trying to set our own routes, though i keep making them too difficult! :)
  • Options
    i did a spot of indoor climbing for my d of e award. i found it quite hard, as my arms are like twigs.
  • Options
    I've done a bit here and there but nothing serious. Got a few mates who are really into it though so they drag me along from time to time. Personally I'm more of a water sports person.