Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Writing for a living

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just wondering what the options are to earn a crust by writing .. like copyrighting, or report writing, etc?

How much do they pay and how do you find clients.

I saw this notice at a business centre lastnight to have a well known London Universityt o write you a business plan.. their charges were £4,000 to £6,000 :eek2:

I did my friends business plan for free .. and it was pretty damn good, for £4,000 a pop I could retire very soon!!

Comments

• Options
    first you'll have to learn to spell copywriting ;)

unless you mean being the guy who works in the patents office.

freelance writing is every small time writer's goal, but it's not very realistic for most people. if you're a brilliant writer, or if you have a special interest then you can make a living off of it. but it's very much like acting in that respect. you could sell two pieces one month, and live like a king, but then not sell anything for the next 6 months. It can be done, but the pay is not usually as good as you're imagining.

copywriting is different. most companies will employ their own copywriters. there's a LOT of competition, so you usually start out small (like me) and work your way up. In addition to being qualified (they usually like an english/writing degree) or having years of commercial experience. or both. if you are outstanding, you may get headhunted. there's not a huge market for freelancers, but then it depends what kind of area you go into.

i don't know much about business plans or report writing, to be honest, but i work by this general rule: if it were that easy, we'd all be doing it.

freelance writers find clients either by advertising, hooking up with a creative agency, or sending off a CV/examples of work to anyone and everyone.
  • Options
    I used to write a lot of reports for the various companies I worked for, I produced training guides as well, etc

My friend's bank manager was blown away by my business plan, but I had no idea someone could even charge as much as £4,000 to write one!! :eek:

I know when I worked for a dot com thew threw money around like it grew on trees .. and I think there are a lot of big companies with more money then sense!!
  • Options
    My friend's bank manager was blown away by my business plan, but I had no idea someone could even charge as much as £4,000 to write one!! :eek:

you are worth what someone will pay for you. you're right, big businesses have more money than sense, and will throw money at problems to fix them.

remember though, that just cause someone is advertising a service at a certain price doesn't mean they're selling it. I'd streak naked through the centre of leeds for half a million, but so far no one has taken me up on my offer.

if you're serious, you'd be better finding out what most people will actually pay, and if someone is successful in that kind of area, what they charge. then you'll have a better idea of how much is reasonable and realisic. it's ok to set your price at £6000, but if only two people a year hire you, you'd be better off in a call centre.

research is the word we're after here...
  • Options
    I suppose if you can advertise your services to enough people then there's bound to be one that will pay over the odds. They may not have done their research and stuff.

Generally though I doubt you will get megabucks for doing a business plan. Most people with business ideas that are worth putting in to practice could probably manage to put them on paper.

Then for normal writing, the big money is in best sellers and film rights.