Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Whats my problem?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So a bit of background information: After finishing my a-levels (i got a B C C, not the best results ever i know but they cant be changed now) i decided i couldn't really afford to go to uni and would rather get out there get a job etc.
So since leaving college i have basically been doing overtime at Tesco where i had worked previously for 2 years, as a short term soultion to themoney/income thing.

So fast foward to now, it's now january i have a new manage at work and they don't want me for overtime any more, which i guess is fair enough because it's after christmas and there is not as much work which needs to be done. So i'm working my contracted hours of 8 a week, which pulls in about £166 a month, apart from the fact that i do not see myself as a tesco worker as my dam career, hardly working and earning that i feel as if im taking the bloody piss out of myself. I mean if they were my expectations why waste two years at college?

Anyway lets get to the point. I was browsing the connexions website (which is more helpfull than i ever thought it would be) and i have found a job that actually sounds quite interesting, the pay is £155 a week, which isn't brilliant but you know its a bloody good start, and it is only a few villages away and 25 minutes on the bus. Excellent i thought i got quite excited reading the information. So i rang them up got the phone number for the company and then...

I'm sitting here with the phone in my hand and for some reason i can't bring myself to ring the number. I mean wtf seriously? this is something that i want, something that i bloody need and now i have just reduced myself to a nervous wreck.
This kind of thing has never bothered me before, previous interviews etc i would even go as far to say i am a fairly confident person.

Blah i'm not even sure what the point in this is really, i'm just getting increasingly pissed off with myself, theres a potential oppurtunity infront of me and i could let it pass because i've just been overcome by stupidity and complete nervousness, you know it's this kind of attitde which makes me think why would anyone wnat to give me a job afterall if i can't even manage the easy bit.

I'm not quite sure what i'm after a bit of insight/advice anything really. Hmmm.

Comments

• patrick*gringo*patrick*gringo* Posts: 147 Helping Hand
    I think anyone who has gone for a job they really want, can empathise with that feeling you have before you pick up the phone. Making the first move isn't easy... read this first... and let us know what happens.

Good luck!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This thread could have be written by me this time last week cos I was completely in your shoes (and also working for Tesco!). Like you I consider myself to be quite a confident person yet I find it hard sometimes to phone people up about things and such. I dont have a problem approaching people face to face, which I would say would be more difficult than talking on the phone.

Anyway, Im unhappy in my present job and I have a mortgage to pay so I just told myself I had to do it. I phoned up and blah blah blah and to cut a long story short I have an interview later on today.

I cant really give you any advice I just wanted to let you know you arent the only one who feels like this occasionally. You're already half way there, you called to get the phone number for the job, you're just a voice on the end of the phone, as is the other person you're talking to. Relax, deep breath and go for it, good luck :)
    ive been in a silmilar position altho been working full time, im getting laid off friday so desperately trying to find something, the stuff the agency puts up for my that i know i could just walk into, no probs, turn up ace the interview get offered the job if i want it. stuff that i really wouldnt mind doing, i seem to struggle, struggle phoning, struggle turning up. end up smelling of fags cos ive chained loads before going in! its all a mess, but worth it in the end.
    I'm very nervous when it comes to phoning places up about jobs, one of the things I find helps is if you're particularly nervous about it, write down everything you want to say as it may help you get the conversation started and help overcome your initial nerves. Alternatively, just think to yourself that there are loads of other really good jobs that you could do, although it would be good if you could get this one it isn't the end of the world if you can't, all you can do is try your best.

Good luck!
    I think it's unfortunately one of those things in life that you get better at the more you do it, which doesn't much help you when it's the first or second time. The first time I went to an interview I was terrified. When I applied to graduate jobs I used to deliberately avoid the ones that had assessment centres because I didn't believe I could do them. In the end there're no easy answers I think, but it helps to know that it's not just you.

yeah i'm really bad at confrontations such as job interviews. I loathe them. What the girl before me said is right. Just right down questions. But your attitude is most important. THis is something you have to do. It sucks that some people can do this as if this were the only thing they were bron to do. That's genetics for you. We get bad traits we get some good. So just swallow your fears and have the attitude that your a proffesional and act concern. You want this job and no one will come in your way. Soemtimes it's good to not get into the job interview right away. Like talk about something in the office...it might be something you both have in common. THat could make you realize that this employer is a person just like you, who eats, sleeps, farts and whatever. hehe.
    beans wrote:
    So a bit of background information: After finishing my a-levels (i got a B C C, not the best results ever i know but they cant be changed now) i decided i couldn't really afford to go to uni and would rather get out there get a job etc.
    So since leaving college i have basically been doing overtime at Tesco where i had worked previously for 2 years, as a short term soultion to themoney/income thing.

So fast foward to now, it's now january i have a new manage at work and they don't want me for overtime any more, which i guess is fair enough because it's after christmas and there is not as much work which needs to be done. So i'm working my contracted hours of 8 a week, which pulls in about £166 a month, apart from the fact that i do not see myself as a tesco worker as my dam career, hardly working and earning that i feel as if im taking the bloody piss out of myself. I mean if they were my expectations why waste two years at college?

Anyway lets get to the point. I was browsing the connexions website (which is more helpfull than i ever thought it would be) and i have found a job that actually sounds quite interesting, the pay is £155 a week, which isn't brilliant but you know its a bloody good start, and it is only a few villages away and 25 minutes on the bus. Excellent i thought i got quite excited reading the information. So i rang them up got the phone number for the company and then...

I'm sitting here with the phone in my hand and for some reason i can't bring myself to ring the number. I mean wtf seriously? this is something that i want, something that i bloody need and now i have just reduced myself to a nervous wreck.
    This kind of thing has never bothered me before, previous interviews etc i would even go as far to say i am a fairly confident person.

Blah i'm not even sure what the point in this is really, i'm just getting increasingly pissed off with myself, theres a potential oppurtunity infront of me and i could let it pass because i've just been overcome by stupidity and complete nervousness, you know it's this kind of attitde which makes me think why would anyone wnat to give me a job afterall if i can't even manage the easy bit.

I'm not quite sure what i'm after a bit of insight/advice anything really. Hmmm.

Where do you live?

I take it you live somewhere pretty remote?