Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

best place to study law?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
hey. was just wondering if anyone knew they best place to study law in scotland. i got rejected from edinburgh so there's out of the question but am considering dundee, aberdeen, glasgow and strathclyde. i know the older unis are more established and are recognised more in terms of law but i really like the look of strathclyde. will i have less of a chance of getting a job at a law firm if i go there. thanks.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    As has been said in other threads, employers are interested in the person and the nature of your qualification rather than where the qualification is from. Of course, there is absolutely no harm at all in attending a more established university, but at the end of the day I would always advise anyone to choose the place that they prefer over the status of the institution. You're going to do far better studying at a place you like than somewhere you've chosen merely on the grounds of a perceived status.
  • Options
    Cambridge ;)
  • Options
    Draugen wrote:
    As has been said in other threads, employers are interested in the person and the nature of your qualification rather than where the qualification is from.

Employers value a 2.1 from a top university more than a 2.1 from a newer, shittier one.

Obviously there are some gimps at top universities who still wont get jobs.
  • Options
    Employers value a 2.1 from a top university more than a 2.1 from a newer, shittier one.

But very few, if any, will select on that alone. No one will look at your application and instantly throw it away based on your institution of study.
  • Options
    Dundee is excellent for Law (apparently). Four of my friends are studying law there, they say the facilities and help from tutors is great.
    Don't know about the others though.
  • Options
    Check out The Sunday Times University guide which will have the subject tables for law in it, and you can see where the institutions you are looking at rate for your course :)

Cambridge ;)

Yes, because that is in Scotland :rolleyes: The more of your posts I read, the more ignorant I find you.
  • Options
    thanks
  • Options
    Aberdeen is your best choice, hon.

Because it's so far from anywhere there isn't the xsame competition for places as there is in Edinburgh and Glasgow, so you will get an average offer. The university is excellent- one of the oldest law seats in the UK, dating from C16- and the degree is very well respected from there.

I know a few people there, and it was my insurance offer when I went to uni, although I got my first choice place at Durham I wouldn't have been gutted if I'd ended up in the granite city.

groovechampion, you really are a complete bell end.
  • Options
    Best place to study law in Scotland if you can't get into Edinburgh is Aberdeen.