Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

can the pill change how u feel?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ive recently gone on the pill (last week) and am really cranky and off with my boyfriend. i feel like i dont want him anywhere near me some times but others i cant get enough

ive felt like this occasionaly the few days after a period...could it just be the same sort of thing?

will it stop? :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes the pill can make you feel like crap. Hormones have the ability to affect feelings quite drastically, after all, PMT is all to do with hormones. I found the pill made me feel really numb and bored with everything - not quite depression, but I just felt so flat.
    Thats why I came off it. First of all we just went back to condoms but then I had a non-hormonal coil fitted which is much more convenient. I just wanted to feel like ME again.
    I found the pill made me feel really numb and bored with everything - not quite depression, but I just felt so flat.

thats how i feel :( and like i just need a good cry
    Just the other day i was talking to a friend of mine about the pill and she said that she had actually lost her sex drive. so now she's on another one and everything's fine. i would suggest you go back to your doctor's and say that it is giving you bad side effects, e.g. making you feel sick and they'll change it for you.
    you will probably start to feel better in a couple of weeks, its early days for you as you have only been on it a few days and it will take a while for your body to get used to it, for most people it seems to take about three packets for your bod to adjust, so give it a chance. having said that though, some people dont get on with the pill and if it doesnt start to get better it may be worth popping back to the fpc or whoever you got it from for a chat- iwas always told to wait three packets to see if it helps....but it turned out that it just wasnt the right choice for me. like Rainbow, i have a non- hormonal coil :D :thumb:
    I have exactly the same problem and posted about it a while back...you might find peoples' replies to me helpful...

Mood swings thread
    StupidGirl wrote:
    I have exactly the same problem and posted about it a while back...you might find peoples' replies to me helpful...

Mood swings thread

thanx for that, it was helpful :)

i think im going to stick with this one for the 3 months and then wen i go back to the doctors i shall tell him about the moods and stuff if its no better :)

also gonna try the exersice thing, anything to help!
    When i first started the pill, it made me feel all blank, like i didnt have anyting to do, or i didnt want to do anything. I got upset a lot, and i was also quite snappy. It calmed down after the first month though :)
    do u think a week is to early to go back and get it changed?

i hate feeling like this, im pushin my boyfriend away and even though i know im doing it, i cant seem to stop it :(
    i just feel so....numb
    i think it is too early and will settle down in a few weeks - it doesnt matter what i think though, its what you think that counts.but if you are only going to try each pill for a week it will take forever to find one that works for you, if you really feel bad though then a chat with your pill provider should help and they can give you the best advice.

are you completely sure its just the pill that is making you feel like this though? i'm thinking about your other posts and wondering if you have mixed feeling about being on it that may be making you angry?
    are you completely sure its just the pill that is making you feel like this though? i'm thinking about your other posts and wondering if you have mixed feeling about being on it that may be making you angry?

i know it might not just be the pill makin me feel this way but im sure its contributing towards it.....we'll see. im gonna try to stick it out.....
    the pill causes depression in some people. go back to your doctor
    I know it takes a while for your body to adjust to the Pill, but if it's affecting you that much I'd go and see your GP and get a different brand to try when you've finished your current pack.

Mine makes me feel awful, always has done for the whole 3 months I've been on it, but I'm changing brands tomorrow. :hyper:
    I went on the pill (Dianette) a couple of years ago and it was fine, no changes apart from the lack of period pain.
    Anyway the doctor changed my pill last year to Celeste and it was horrible! I cried, I got angry for no reason and I was a real bitch to both my parents and my boyfriend.
    I told the doctor and he put me back on my original pill. I'm back to normal again.
    Some pills suit people better than others. Maybe this is the wrong pill for you and your doctor may suggest a different pill til you find one that works without causing you to feel like crap.
    Hope that helps :)
    Yeah i would stick it out for the first 3 months so it has a chance to settle down, and if after that everything still not good explain to your doctor whats wrong and they will try you on a different brand.

I was lucky the 1st one i tried has suited me fine for almost 2 years now.
    i lost my sex drive+also felt shitty too. I've been off pill for a month but am planning to go back on after my period cos things with my bf are getting properly physical. If I go back to how i was feeling before its definately back to the drs for me!