Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

cold sore nightmare

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm a flute player and i've had these cold sores in the corners of my mouth for over a month. its hell to play. i've been to the dr but the cream was useless. i think the infection gets on my mouthpiece. help!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I found these two sites to help you:

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:BEH8EMUJSlMJ:www.nevdgp.org.au/ginf2/murtagh/Infections/Herpessimplex.htm+information+about+cold+sores&hl=en

http://www.surgerydoor.co.uk/medical_conditions/Indices/C/cold_sores.htm

I get cold sores quite alot which absolutely sucks ass. However, I can normally feel them coming on and zap them with Zovirax. Keep the area sterile, basically- dont touch your face! The fact you play an instrument that uses your mouth means the virus spreads from your saliva and stays on your flute. Coldsores only take about a week to clear so dont play with your flute.

"This one time, at band camp..." :yum:
    i cant not play. i have 3 concerts this week
    Im not musical at all, but tell me: can you play the flute on both sides of your mouth or do you have a particular side you rest it on?
    Point being that after sterilising your instrument in boiling water with some antiseptic or something in a small bowl/container you could minimise the spread after each concert.
    So play on the side of your mouth with the least cold sores (if that is possible) go home, wash it thoroughly and dry it. Play, rinse repeat.

Coldsores are usually an indication that your body is run down- winter is when Im most suseptable to them.

Any good?
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Coldsores are usually an indication that your body is run down- winter is when Im most suseptable to them.

:yes:

Zovirax is good for coldsores. Other than that I think you just need to drink lots of fluid, keep your mouth and lips moist too.
    if you keep getting them over and over and over, or they don't clear up within a week or so, it might be a good idea to trek back to the doctors.

and is there any possibility of not playing for a week or two until they've gone?
    Playing is important, but while they clear up you could practice your fingering (no punning anyone...) without actually playing.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Playing is important, but while they clear up you could practice your fingering (no punning anyone...) without actually playing.
    try getting hold of some antiseptic wipes...preferably the baby ones as they wont damage your flute, i got a cold sore when i used to play and it kept coming back because of playing the flute....get some carmex on them for when you HAVE to play and as fiend said you'll have to just practise fingering and play as little as possible.
    i really cant cut down on playing although that would be ideal i know. i have 3 concerts as i said, and numerous rehersals for the concerts of the following weeks.

are you sure antiseptic wipes wouldnt harm it?

i cant just play on one side..my tone would disappear
    are you sure antiseptic wipes wouldnt harm it?
    Is it silver plated?
    no its completely silver
    no its completely silver
    Ooh posh. Probably not a good idea to use alcohol based antiseptic wipes then.

The thing with cold sores is that you already have the virus so you don't 'catch' it each time you get a cold sore.

Use your Zovirax and hope for the best.
    Usualy vitamin B6 compound helps,studies have found a high percentage of peeps with reoccuring herpes virus,are low on vit B.
    Hope this helps :D
    Also the amino acid Lysine helps (not sure exactly how) but i take it when i get a cold sore and it cuts the time i have it for. You can buy lysine from holland & barrets bout £6.

Also pure tee tree oil helps to dry it out quicker.

Blisteeze i find calms it down, i find zovirax makes my cold sores 10000x worse.
    Also the amino acid Lysine helps (not sure exactly how) but i take it when i get a cold sore and it cuts the time i have it for. You can buy lysine from holland & barrets bout £6.

Also pure tee tree oil helps to dry it out quicker.

Blisteeze i find calms it down, i find zovirax makes my cold sores 10000x worse.

I am the opposite, I find that Zovirax reduces the time coldsores are around. But it is quite expensive, about 6 quid for a wee pump. Tea tree does nothing but sting the face off of me.......

I hate having the herpes simplex virus :crying: :crying: