Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Nose blackhead thing, is it just me?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Weird question, but lately i've developed an obsession with the blackheads on my nose. Have they always been there or have I just recently become obsessed with them?

I seem to carefully nip them out and then withn a short space of time they make a comeback. I cant help but get them out as they send me crazy. Does everyone else have to do this or if I ignore them will they just reach a level and stay the same? It worries me that the will get out of hand and that I have to keep on top of them. Am I better of leaving them or am I making things worse trying to get rid?

What do you do?

Comments

• Options
    How do you try and get rid of them? If you're not using tissues, the bacteria in your fingernails could easily get into the pore and cause them to get worse.

Sorry, I don't know if you're male or female, but if I have problem spots, I always go for a facial, as the lady who does mine makes sure all the gunk gets out of the spot (it can often get left behind) and uses tissues on each finger etc.

Also, what's your normal skin care routine? Honey is good for drawing out a lot of toxins, but for the short term, that would mean more spots so that might not be of use to you.
  • Options
    If your just squeezing them out yourself you might not be getting all the dirt out. And you should clean the skin with some Witch Hazel or Tea Tree oil afterwards to cleanse it properly and reduce the liklihood of it reoccuring. You could try those blackhead nose strips, though I don't know what the best ones are, or how effective they'd be.
  • Options
    I don't think those nose strips work.
  • Options
    i have had blackheads on my nose for about 5 years now which sucks they never seem to go, i tryed the strip things too and they didnt work for me. Nothing seems to work
  • Options
    the biore nose strips work really well. Although at 7.99 for 6, they are hardly cheap....however, if you use those and then use the witch hazel or tea tree afterwards to clean your nose while the pores are open, they are much less likely to re appear.
  • Options
    I am a bit obsessed with getting rid of blacheads too. The body shop does a peel off cream which is quite good. It's £5 but a little tube lasts for ages. You can also get cheap peel off strips from Savers chemists. Also, steam your face and exfoliate. Don't use your fingers, that can lead to infections.
  • Options
    Ta for those who have replied so far. I have done all the lotions and potions to relive them but the don't really get them out as they must be super deep inside the skin considering how much gunk can come out with a squeeze.

I was just wondering if anyone else squeeze them out or just leaves them and what happens if you do leave them like forever. Everyone must have them, so what do they do? I never used to even think about them much, now im kinda obsessed. It must be this new bathroom mirror I have, its too well lit and I can see too well!.
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    Sorry, I don't know if you're male or female, but if I have problem spots, I always go for a facial, as the lady who does mine makes sure all the gunk gets out of the spot (it can often get left behind) and uses tissues on each finger etc.

ITA, a facial is the best way to get rid of blackheads and generally improve your skin and complexion, for me anyway. Though it does involve shelling out quite a bit of cash, 'specially if you go fairly regularly.

Alternatively those home facial spas are a good way to open the pores and allow you to cleanse more deeply than would normally be possible. When I was younger I used to use the low-budget alternative of filling the sink with boiling water, plonking a towel on my head and steaming my face that way. Don't forget to breathe though!

There's also a new face mask type thing by Biore which is supposed to be very effective and specifically targets blackhead prone skin. It supposedly is a self-heating mask which you apply, leave on and then just rinse off. Called Biore Warming Blackhead something-something. I'm sure it'd be easy to find in Boots or wherever anyway, and I'm sure I saw it in Tesco too.

One more thing that absolutely makes a difference to your skin is drinking water. I know it's said time and time again but I find my skin is much more luminous and clear when I've been drinking water and getting a lot of fruit and veg down my neck. During weeks when I've had a poor diet and eaten loads of junk, I often find I get blackheads or my T-zone is oilier.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    T-zone

:eek2:
  • Options
    TheCure wrote:
    I was just wondering if anyone else squeeze them out or just leaves them and what happens if you do leave them like forever. Everyone must have them, so what do they do? I never used to even think about them much, now im kinda obsessed. It must be this new bathroom mirror I have, its too well lit and I can see too well!.
    I think it IS your mirror tbh. Everytime I go round my mums she has this super-duper magnifying mirror which makes me look like the most acne-fied person. I always end up having a mass spot squeezing session when I go round there and its purely because of that mirror. When Im at home, I dont notice them as much.
    If you leave them they WONT get massive, theyll probably either stay the same or they will go away on their own. I dont think squeezing gets rid of them in the long run, in fact it probably makes them worse, but it is therapeutic.
  • Options
    I think it IS your mirror tbh. Everytime I go round my mums she has this super-duper magnifying mirror which makes me look like the most acne-fied person. I always end up having a mass spot squeezing session when I go round there and its purely because of that mirror. When Im at home, I dont notice them as much.

:yes:
    Our bathroom mirror is like that. It drives me mental - I come away from it looking like I've been attacked with a cheesegrater.
  • Options
    Smash wrote:
    Our bathroom mirror is like that. It drives me mental - I come away from it looking like I've been attacked with a cheesegrater.

I like my room. My room has shit light. Cannae see my spots so badly.

Bathroom = evil. DAMN YOU SPOT LIGHTING :crying:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Smash wrote:

Tell me about it... :(

Blackheads are evil. They never go away. I might attack myself with TCP at some stage to try to resolve this issue.

If not, there's always plenty of white spirit it the garage. :lol: