Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tax is immoral

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You sound like a New Labour minister.

History says otherwise. Give me a government run system that isnt in some way inefficient, corrupt or mismanaged?

Enron :)
  • Options
    No they arent.

Yes they are. That's what private companies do - make a profit for a minority of people.
    There is no absolute poverty in Britain,

Yes there is. Look around you, see how many people don't have a home.

we are an affluent society

Some people are affluent.
    and with all the moeny people save off tax they would be more than capable of providing for themselves.

Really? Got any figures to back that up? What about pensioners? Single parent families on minimum wage?
    99% of people would be able to,

Where did you pluck that figure from? Thin air?
    and whats more they would all get a better quality of service than we get under the NHShite.

Again, more conjecture. For the record, my personal experience with the NHS (which is unfortunately a lot at the moment) is very good. Why do you think its shit?
  • Options
    You sound like a New Labour minister.

History says otherwise. Give me a government run system that isnt in some way inefficient, corrupt or mismanaged?

Give me a privately run business that allows poor people to use its services for free?
  • Options
    99% isn't enough, and the RARE diseases are the MOST expensive to treat. And the ones for which you could charge whatever you wanted. Capitalism has no compassion.
  • Options
    Enron

Yes , a private business that was mismanaged and corrupt. Now answer my question.
    That's what private companies do - make a profit for a minority of people.

They make a profit because they are good at what they do - in this case it would be providing health care.
    Look around you, see how many people don't have a home.

An exteremely small minority. The state has done them a lot of good hasnt it?
    Some people are affluent.

The vast majority are affluent.
    What about pensioners? Single parent families on minimum wage

They all pay taxes dont they?
    Why do you think its shit?

Because it is a statist service.
    Give me a privately run business that allows poor people to use its services for free?

Give me a state service that isnt funded through forced taxation.
  • Options
    Yes , a private business that was mismanaged and corrupt. Now answer my question.

Well, at least we've established that business practice can be corrupt, inefficient and mismanaged, whether in private or public hands.

I have to say that I haven't conducted any studies of state businesses, so I have no idea.

I do know that Tesco, for all its £2Bn profit, can't even keep its shelves stocked properly, and that its impossible to get good service in the local Curries though.

And they want my money - no doubt they'd be even worse if they already had it.
  • Options
    They make a profit because they are good at what they do - in this case it would be providing health care.

Where do you think that profit comes from? Where do you think it goes? Who benefits from it?
    An exteremely small minority. The state has done them a lot of good hasnt it?

Its a lot more people than you think. The problem has become a lot worse with the cutbacks in benefits and the introduction of private enterprise into the benefits system and the selling off of social housing stock. Do you think thats a coincidence?
    The vast majority are affluent.

I suggest you actually take a look around you.
    They all pay taxes dont they?

A pensioner pays VAT yes, but nothing else. Someone earning under the tax threshold pays no income tax.
    Because it is a statist service.

You're arguing in circles. What experience have you had thats led you to think that its shit?
    Give me a state service that isnt funded through forced taxation.

What a weird question. I'll ask you again - what private businesses provide services for people who can't afford them?
  • Options
    Trillions of dollars in taxation is not a small price to pay. Your cavalier attitude toward basic economics and peoples incomes is disturbing.
    But then again, given that that estimate of yours is about 1,000 times higher than the actual figure, it doesn't matter does it...

Wrong, in a properly privitised service industry there would be NO bailouts because the company wouldnt need them.
    Which would result in a standard London-Manchester return costing around £500.

They already cost £150 (from £38-£40 not that long ago when the railways were in public hands) and that's with the government throwing hundreds of millions every year to the greedy, useless, selfish fat cat bastards.

Yes, and the privitisations were a load of bollocks.
    I am glad we agree on something. :D

Ill give you a word: piss poor economic growth, bloated states systems and in the case of Germany, 5 million unemployed.
    :lol::lol::lol:

The smell of desperation is overwhelming.
  • Options
    You haven't really thought this through have you Matadore?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    But then again, given that that estimate of yours is about 1,000 times higher than the actual figure, it doesn't matter does it...

Which would result in a standard London-Manchester return costing around £500.

They already cost £150 (from £38-£40 not that long ago when the railways were in public hands) and that's with the government throwing hundreds of millions every year to the greedy, useless, selfish fat cat bastards

im not quite sure, its the upkeep of our lines of which are over 100yrs old in design in many cases which makes it so expensive

and obviously walk on tickets are expensive, booking in advance is dirt cheap ;) £20 or so
  • Options
    I can't believe this conversation is going on!

Matadore - The American health system. If you can afford it you get it, if you can't, you don't.

You can divide the country into who can afford cancer treatment and those who can't. It's disgusting.

The NHS needs attention. The last thing it needs is privitisation.
  • Options
    If you book 35 years in advance, travel at silly times and accept a million other restrictions, then yes it can be affordable.

If you commit the temerity of buying a ticket only a week in advance (let alone on the day of travel) or plan to travel in the morning and return in the early evening like normal working people need to do, be prepared to fork out a fortune.

And yes, maintenance can be expensive. That is why it should be left in public hands. Because private companies (like Railtrack) will cut corners and neglect expensive upgrades, because they don't want to spend money that eats into their precious fucking profits. And then people die in needless accidents.

The problem however goes back many years. Had successive Tory and Labour governments invested decent amounts of money on BR instead of neglecting it for decades, the railways would have never reached the state they are today.

Whichever party wants to win the election needs only to make one pledge: renationalise the railways and kick those greedy cunts off the gravy train (no pun intended) for good. It wouldn't even cost a penny to do so- simply don't renovate the franchises when they come up for renewal. Then ensure there is regular investment in the network and we might once again have a railways to be proud of.
  • Options
    The problem is the political system though, you can never get anything done because the time between elections is far too short.

You cant make decent changes to something like the NHS or the railways in four years, it cant be done.
  • Options
    And too many people with a vested interest in maintaining the status quo.